Please sign in to post.

Bletchley Park

I am considering a visit to Bletchley Park in early November and wonder how much time I should allow for this. Should I plan on just a couple of hours or the better part of the day. Any info/advice will be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Posted by
6113 posts

They have opened up more of BP since 2012 and now it takes at least a full day to cover it properly.

Posted by
43 posts

Thanks to both of you for your input. I will plan to spend the day. Thanks again for your help.

Posted by
15576 posts

I spent most of a day there in 2010. When you start your visit ask when the next guided tour is and plan around that. There are other sights - a small museum of civilian life during the war, the museum, and possible other exhibits. You can also tour the mansion. Visit the cafeteria too. Lots to keep you interested.

Posted by
15576 posts

And I forgot to add - while you're in London, be sure to visit the Churchill War Rooms too.

Posted by
4 posts

I visited Bletchley Park a couple of weeks ago. If you are into things technical I would plan on a day. The exhibit first starts with an Overview section to set the scene. Then there are several buildings (Huts 3, 4 and 6) to tour through. In addition there is the mansion and several buildings. One of them had some interesting vehicles There are several examples of various types of Enigma machines. Of particular interest is a working replica of the Bombe machine that was used for decoding. Demonstrations are given frequently through the day.

I suggest that you try and book a guided tour. I did not do that and wished I had, There are audioguides but I did not find them particularly useful.

Don't forget the National Computing Museum which is adjacent to Bletchley Park and very worthwhile. They have working replicas of several old computers including Colossus, the original. There was also a mainframe section that had several computers of the 60,70s and early 80s. Made me feel old as I remember working on these machines.

The museums were a great day trip from London. Trains leave on a hourly basis from Euston station. Bletchley also qualifies for the National Rail 2 for 1 deal.

This was one of the highlights of our trip. A great day excursion.

Posted by
43 posts

Murray, thanks so much for your detailed review. Sounds like I am going to have a great day!

Posted by
43 posts

Chani, I have been to the Cabinet War Rooms on a previous trip. However, I hope to take in the Imperial War Museum this time around.

Posted by
32706 posts

About the London Midland trains from London Euston to Bletchley, at most times through the day there are 3 each hour - the fastest is the xx:13 which only stops once before Bletchley (destination Birmingham New Street), the slowest is xx:24 which stops 6 times on the way (destination Milton Keynes Central), and the xx:54 which stops 4 times before Bletchley (destination Northampton).

There are also 3 an hour back.

This is just to elaborate on the previous mention that there is one an hour.

Posted by
15576 posts

Pat, I was going to suggest the Imperial War Museum because I remember an excellent "Blitz experience" there. When I checked, I found that they've recently overhauled the museum and eliminated that exhibit. The reviews on TripAdvisor of the "improvements" were mostly negative.

I'm not saying, "don't go" but read some reviews first.

Posted by
43 posts

Chani, thanks for the info. I will research further before I make a decision. I am not traveling until early November, so I have some time to figure everything out.