Please sign in to post.

Blackpool

We will be in Liverpool and we are wondering if a day trip to Blackpool is worth it or should we just head back to London and go back home

Posted by
1209 posts

Don't think it's worth the effort , it's worth it in winter to see "the lights" maybe it's because Blackpool looks so much better in the dark.

Posted by
5261 posts

If you want to see a depressing seaside town trying desperately to cling on to its former glory then go but I wouldn't recommend it.

Posted by
2639 posts

i was last in Blackpool about 20 years ago and said "never again" i am sticking to it .Might be interesting during the day whilst the majority of the drunks are sleeping it off but by mid afternoon they will be out again, If you are into fun fairs and roller coasters then go for the day but i would avoid overnight unless you like partying with the serious drinking crowd

Posted by
2639 posts

Liverpool is great BTW ,my sister has lived there for over 30 years and I visit once or twice a year, fantastic city with so much history,Many folk who's families moved from Europe to the US will have made a stop over/ changed ships in Liverpool .

Posted by
32740 posts

If you have a fascination with old trams it might be worth it for a brief stop, although the National Tramway Museum in Crich has a far more comprehensive collection, but they run in a museum setting (slow and short) whereas Blackpool runs in traffic the full length of the strand.

The requirement to wear a mask on public transport extends to the Blackpool trams.

Maybe you like tall metal towers like the Eyefull Tower in Paris? Blackpool has its own version. Ballroom dancing when the restrictions come off if it has survived.

Otherwise you could go and watch the antics of hen parties when they are allowed again - although hen parties and social distancing seems unlikely as they are usually falling down drunk, and drunks don't often distance.

On the whole I'd give Blackpool a miss.

Posted by
4573 posts

I associate Blackpool with ballroom dancing competitions. Anything else I've seen about it seems dismal.

Posted by
6532 posts

Ditto JC’s comment. While I only drove through it out of curiosity, I put it in the same category as Margate and Ramsgate; towns whose glory days are long gone.

Posted by
6113 posts

I would avoid Blackpool where possible. A day trip to Chester would be worthwhile from Liverpool.

Posted by
3046 posts

Go to Chester instead. It's an easy train ride. It's a preserved town with an original wall. When we were there, we watched centurians teach 3rd and 4th graders how to hold their shields and form a "turtle" defensive formation. It was fun to watch. We were there on Race day, and you cannot imagine the complete nonsense women were putting on their heads. Such a fun trip. We capped the day be listening to Evensong in the cathedral.

Posted by
1448 posts

Rent a car and drive "Under" the Mersey thru the tunnel and go to Chester and walk the a walls of a city based on a Roman Fort, There is a great shopping district "The Rows" and some interesting Roman ruins. You are also only an hour to Castle Conwy in Wales. I also would not bother with Blackpool...we just drove right on thru.

Posted by
1325 posts

I wouldn’t shortchange Liverpool for Blackpool at all. Maybe if you’ve got a full week and already have covered Chester and Manchester. It’s a seaside resort that has seen better days and was only popular before continental holidays became popular and less expensive. I don’t think Blackpool has been a destination since the U.K. ended rationing in the 1960s

Posted by
4 posts

Thank you all so much for your help. Chester sounds like it would be worth looking into; Blackpool sounds like Atlantic City and I don’t need that. Can’t wait to hit Liverpool and do all the tourist Beatles sights plus have to see Anfield—#YNWA

Posted by
32740 posts

I'm afraid that Blackpool doesn't quite rise to the level of Atlantic City.

Posted by
8439 posts

steve, to cap it off, here's what Rick says about Blackpool: blackpool
If you put Blackpool in the Search box, you'll see multiple articles about it here on this site. A place to go, not for scenic beauty or culture, but a real slice of British life that is not Downton Abbey.

I spent a summer in England as a child, and remember watching Blackpool Night Out! on the telly every week. It sounded like the most exciting place on earth, but that was a long time ago.

Posted by
3046 posts

One thing about Liverpool - a lot of museums, and all are free.

Another very pleasant thing to do is the river excursion. We took the excursion, and spent 4 hours in the town across the river, Birkenhead. We went to a great pub, Gallaghers, and watched the Reds (LIverpool futbol) team play. A true pub experience. Super-fun, if you like futbol and beer. There is also an exhibit of a German U-boat that was salvaged and is completely placed there, cut into pieces to see the wiring. There is also a fabulous collection of artifacts from the sub, including the medical kit, munitions, etc. Not to be missed.

Posted by
1279 posts

I have made a personal vow NEVER to return to Blackpool following a truly dreadful holiday there as a child. It’s still holding strong, despite me being invited on several trips there by my family and friends, it’s now been in effect for almost sixty years! People tell me it will have changed in the intervening years and I’m happy to accept that, as it looks like it may have got a lot worse over time.

Anyway, if you are in the vicinity of Blackpool, just a bit further will take you into the Lake District. Given the option/choice it really is a no-brainer, Lakes every time!

Ian

Posted by
1209 posts

Think it's still no 1 for vist numbers ,18 million plus.
I guess our resorts might have a good year with folks staying in UK.
Oh been twice in myife ,once in a WMC trip as a kid and then 3 years back with a child.
The prom is really well done and beach was clean and the shopping streets ok but ,soon got shabby beyond that.
Always gives me a sense of unease being in Lancashire anyway.

Posted by
347 posts

I have to add my vote for Chester. Really interesting city.

Posted by
993 posts

In 2005 Rick said: "Anne, we could retire here." Tongue in cheek I know but I like Blackpool. There, I said it.