Please sign in to post.

Blackpool?

I have never been to Blackpool and was thinking of stopping for a couple of nights. In your opinion, is it worth it or just cheesy honky-tonk?

I''m enroute from the Lake District to Liverpool and Chester with a possible side trip to the Isle of Man. I have plenty of time.

Posted by
1277 posts

Hi Frank
IMHO really not worth the effort unless you are interested in tat and faded tat at that. I last went as a child and at that point swore I would never go back and over fifty years on, still haven’t. So my opinion might well be out of date, although I suspect it isn’t. I know some folk enjoy the attractions of Blackpool, but it has never been of appeal to me.

My best argument is if you are so close to the Lake District, why bother with Blackpool? If you had planned on the Lake District anyway, spend more time there instead! I know to some people the Lakes are only Windermere, Bowness and Ambleside, but while better than Blackpool, they are still very much tourist central. For a more rural experience I’d aim for Coniston, Wasdale, Buttermere and at a pinch, Ullswater. I’ve not made it to the Isle of Man yet, so cannot comment sagely, but my friends, (whose opinion I trust) who went recently said it was interesting, although a mix of the very nice and well kept with areas that have seen better days and need improvement.

Have a great time, wherever you go!

Ian

Posted by
6113 posts

Blackpool wouldn’t be on my must visit list of places, but nearby Lytham St Annes is much more genteel and home to the links golf course that has hosted the Ryder Cup etc.

En route from the Lakes, the Trough of Bowland area is pretty or you could visit the Yorkshire Dales, using say Hawes as a base and visit the home of Wensleydale cheese made famous by Wallace and Gromit.