Please sign in to post.

Black cabs

Hello, all.

Is it likely we can hail a black cab coming out of Heathrow about 8:30 a.m.? Or should we book in advance? If we do need to reserve, another question: are black cabs operated by several different companies, and is there a company you prefer?

Many thanks,
Marjie

Posted by
585 posts

There are taxi ranks outside all terminals at Heathrow and they probably operate 24/7. You can also arrange for a pick up. I have used Welcome Pick-ups in Athens and Rome. Have a look at the Heathrow website - it has a section on transportation to and from the Airport, including black cabs and their cost.

Posted by
4 posts

If you want good value taxis try LHR Taxis in Google - they are excellent value and will meet you in terminal. I would never get a black cab from LHR, of course you could also use Uber App, but I have found that almost double the price of pre-booking your taxi with the firm mentioned above.

Posted by
8572 posts

@chris_cl

Maybe the OP wants to experience riding in a black cab. Sometimes it isn’t about saving money.

Marjie simply follow signage to the taxi rank. No need to reserve in advance. Black cabs are owned and operated by their drivers. Ages ago to qualify to be a black cab driver they had to take and pass a test called the Knowledge. Uncertain with GPS if the standard still occurs.

Posted by
14811 posts

Hailing a black cab from Heathrow will cost about twice as much as a prearranged car service.

If you want the experience of riding in a black cab I would suggest waiting until you get into London then take one for a short distance.

Do a search on this forum and you'll get the names of numerous car services that have been used by people here.

Posted by
104 posts

Thank you all. We're staying at the Trafalgar St. James. Claudia, as always, you got it right: This is for the experience. We'll only be using a black cab twice during our two-week stay in London & Scotland. Once from Heathrow - yes, for Darling Companion, who has never been to the UK, to experience; and once over to The Globe for supper and a play. The rest, in London, we walk and take the tube, including to the Tower.
We're an older couple, and the London itinerary this time around is based upon companion's love of Churchill.When I took our adult kids in 2016, we did a couple of black cabs and they loved the experience.

Then a train to Chartwell and a western train from London to Edinburgh five days later. We're flying open jaw and renting an automatic for our Highland and Isle adventures:) (All of these are reserved.)

Leaving in six days!
Marjie

Posted by
4137 posts

" Ages ago to qualify to be a black cab driver they had to take and pass a test called the Knowledge. " The tale of " The Knowledge " is wonderfully told in this movie written by the great English author , Jack Rosenthal - https://youtu.be/oSAAB1ZmudY

Posted by
1792 posts

Nice hotel choice. I really like staying there as the location works well for me. Easy walking distance to Soho and Covent garden. Do be sure to take in the view from the rooftop patio area. It’s adjacent to the breakfast area which I believe turns into a bar later in the day. Take the regular elevator up to the top floor then a flight of stairs. Alternatively there’s a dedicated elevator next to reception that takes you all the way up.

Posted by
2274 posts

"Sometimes it isn’t about saving money"

Going on holidays is the last place I want to penny pinch. If need be, I'll do that at home.

Posted by
107 posts

Ages ago to qualify to be a black cab driver they had to take and pass a test called the Knowledge.

Cabbies still have to do The Knowledge and have since 1865. It is so demanding it alters the brain- neurologists study cabbies to study changes in the brain caused by intense intellectual stress.

If you see people on mopeds with maps strapped to their visors then these people are doing The Knowledge. It has taken people 30 years to pass.

Posted by
2599 posts

Marjie--I hope you post a trip report, I would love to hear about Chartwell; I was just in London last week and in my initial researching looked into a day trip there but this was early February and their opening times seemed a bit iffy still, plus no advance tickets. Last thing I'd want to do is take a train somewhere solo and not be sure I could even get in.

I agree on the black cab experience--the 3 times I have taken them over the years were always very enjoyable, the cabbies all had friendly personalities and got me where I was going very efficiently.

Posted by
32523 posts

Ages ago to qualify to be a black cab driver they had to take and pass a test called the Knowledge. Uncertain with GPS if the standard still occurs.

Yes, most definitely. No Knowledge, No Black Cab.

The cabs themselves have to meet strict guidelines which no other vehicle does, including being designed so that they can turn in their own length. That's why you can see them doing U-turns in roads that no other car could do.

Posted by
8572 posts

Marjie if you and your husband wish to see the London home where Churchill lived and died it is located on Hyde Park Gate. Google the exact address.

The street is a cul de sac and a few homes down across the street is the birthplace of Virginia Wolfe. Access Hyde Park Gate from Kensington Gardens Road.

Discovered these Blue Plaques when I assumed Hyde Park Gate went through from Kensington Gardens Road to Queens Gate Terrace.

Sometimes it pays off to go the wrong way.

Posted by
104 posts

Ah, Claudia - I didn't know this! The address is 28 Hyde Park Gate. Many thanks!

Posted by
8572 posts

Hope you take a walk by. After you could stroll to the V & A museum cafe to enjoy tea and cake. Great gift shop as well.

Posted by
104 posts

That sounds just lovely! Thanks as always, Claudia.