Please sign in to post.

Best way to get to hotel

Hi y’all!

My mother and I are traveling to the UK in early May,
We will be flying into Heathrow around 11am on a Tuesday and need advice on the most convenient and least-time consuming way to get to our hotel in Westminster (right across the street from St James station).
My original plan was to take the Heathrow Express to Paddington and then take a cab from there.
My other options:
1. Cab the whole way
2. Piccadilly line the whole way (concerned this wouldn’t be smart with our luggage and stairs at St James station)
Cost isn’t really a major concern. Thank you!!

Posted by
1803 posts

There’s also the National Express bus to Victoria coach station. The bus is not like mass transit buses but more like long distance coaches. Luggage goes underneath in the storage compartment. Taxi or Uber to you hotel from Victoria..

Posted by
1924 posts

If cost is not a concern, I suggest cab or uber from the airport right to your hotel. This seems to be the most convenient way although you will be dealing with traffic.

For myself, cost was a major concern so I had to take the tube but wish that i could have afforded cab or uber.

Posted by
1006 posts

Yes get a taxi if cost is not an issue. It will be by far the easiest way.

Posted by
15007 posts

Instead of a taxi, a private car service is another alternative. This is pre-booked and you know the cost ahead of time.

They meet you as you exit customs, help with your luggage to their car, and then drop you off in front of your hotel.

Two popular companies are:

Blackberry Cars

and

Just Airports

Posted by
876 posts

I would personally just get the Piccadilly line tube from Heathrow. The tube starts at Heathrow so there will be plenty of seats and room for your bags near the doors.

When you get to St James Park there are bound to be people willing to help you with your bags on the stairs.

This morning I have come from my son’s house in east London to Euston for the train home with two big suitcases (after nearly a month away). Coming out of the tube at Warren St* I got to the steps and before I could pick up the bags someone had offered and picked up one of the bags for me, despite the fact that I could have managed them. It’s extremely unlikely that you would not get a similar offer.

You can then use all the money you saved from a taxi fare on a nice lunch.

Posted by
808 posts

We have used Blackberry Cars in the past and found them very efficient. Book them ahead of time. Definitely more expensive than the bus or tube, but less expensive than a black cab at the airport. It's personal choice as to your budget and convenience.

Posted by
1113 posts

I posted very recently about this as well and received similar advice. I’ve taken the tube several times in the past but decided this time I did not want to schlep my stuff all over, up and down stairs and hold on to them while on the tube. Originally I was going to Uber but after a few warnings about surge pricing, I decided to book BlackBerry cars. It’s £64 to my hotel in Hammersmith. Just airports quote was £10 more. I’m really looking forward to being picked up at the airport and being dropped off right in front of our hotel!

Posted by
32757 posts

about a 10 minute scenic walk along Birdcage Walk from Westminster station gets you all lifts and step free.

That's more scenic than from Victoria, also step free, about the same distance.

Your choice 2 - In order to get to Victoria, St James's Park or Westminster from the Piccadilly Line you need a cross platform change onto the District Line at Barons Court or Hammersmith