Please sign in to post.

Best Place in London for Easter Services 2023

No one does ceremony better than the Brits. This Easter, should we attend services at Saint Paul’s or Westminster Abbey?

Posted by
8572 posts

Which of the two haven’t you been in?

Personally I’d opt for St Martins of The Field. Usually have a choral presentation. Check out their website.

Posted by
77 posts

We haven't been to St Paul's. We attended a piano concert at St Martin's a few winters back. It was very cold out and candlelit and very cozy in the church. We attended the Abbey a few times over the years but it was during the week, and during the day. It was strictly a tourist visit.

Posted by
8572 posts

The service at the Abbey is Anglican. The service at St Pauls is Catholic.

I’m biased I’d go to St Paul’s.

Posted by
13809 posts

"The service at St Pauls is Catholic."

St Paul's is Anglican as well. It's where Charles and Diana got married....the marriage was conducted by Robert Runcie, the Archbishop of Canterbury. It is the mother church for the Diocese of London and is a cathedral (seat of a bishop).

Posted by
6386 posts

For a unique service look into service at The Queens Chapel or the Royal Chapel at St James's Palace. Both are very small. A few years back we tried to go to The Queens Chapel, but it was closed, so we went down the block to St. James’s Palace. The chapel there is where two of Duchess Kate’s children were baptized: George and Louis. Believe we were the only non-regular attendees there.

Posted by
77 posts

Thanks to everybody. Actually, I am strictly secular but I love pageantry. So I am open to any service that delivers. This is thanksgiving week in the states. We do have so much to be grateful for.

Posted by
32523 posts

well the bells at St Pauls are head and shoulders better than those at Westminster Abbey who only have 10.

Do remember that under everything it is a religious service, the highest of the year. What you see as pageantry is the Church celebrating something very important to them. It doesn't go much beyond the established standard church ritual at either location.

Personally I find St Pauls much more welcoming, but both will have a full house probably.

Posted by
1936 posts

As a lapsed Protestant, I always think that St Paul's services are a bit better to the untrained eye. That said, be aware that many Londoners don't go to church anymore or are of a different religion and it will probably many tourists like yourself.s

I think Americans are much more regular church-goers than the Brits.

Posted by
8261 posts

I'm not sure how to say this with the kindness and diplomacy that I want to use when saying it. Easter is an important holiday for Christians. Church services are about celebrating the resurrection of Jesus Christ, our Savior. They are not intended to be entertainment to enhance someone's vacation with pageantry.

Of course you can attend services and are welcome to do so. However, please keep in mind the purpose of the service.

Posted by
4256 posts

Another one of your great posts, Carol now retired. We really enjoy the Anglican services-they display the concept that God is high and exalted above man. We went to the Easter service at St Pauls in the 90s and the choir was as sublime as you would expect it to be in that setting. As someone who is part of a very demanding church choir(we have homework!), beautiful music helps to transport me into the very presence of God. We always try to attend an evensong when we are in England. Our church in the US has a good bit of pageantry, but to me, it emphasizes the importance of the occasion. Certainly there is no occasion as important as celebrating Christ's resurrection!