Please sign in to post.

Best Area to Stay in London Around 200-250 a Night Help Needed

Hi All!

We will be visiting London this summer for our first time and are looking to stay somewhere in a nice (not overly crowded) area with as much walking proximity as possible. We enjoy fancy things but understand our budget isnt fancy but would love to find the most decent hotel in the best location! We are wanting to see the palace, westminster abbey, notting hill, a west end show, the churchill war museum etc. I have read that Sanctuary House Hotel in Westminster is recommended, is there any other neighborhoods we should look at for in our price range?

Thank you so much!!

Posted by
753 posts

You might want to check booking.com for an idea of the price ranges for this summer. It seems quite a few people on here recommend Premier Inns. And you should not wait much longer to book.

Posted by
876 posts

You might want to specify which currency. If it’s pounds then that’s a reasonable budget and should give you plenty of choice. If it’s US dollars then it’s at the lower end and will narrow your choices in Summer. You will still find somewhere fine though.

Posted by
16273 posts

We stayed at Sanctuary House Hotel on our honeymoon 20 years ago, when it was rather new, and not on the RS forum radar screen. I chose it on the basis of location and price, and liked it so much we returned several times, but now we enjoy longer stays in London and book apartments. I still recommend Sanctary House, especially for people who like to walk, as we do.

You are just 2 blocks from Westminster Abbey but on a quiet street away from the tourist crowds. From the hotel on Tothill St., it is a short walk north on Dartmouth Street past lovely historic buildings to the passageway down the Cockpit Steps to St. James Park, our favorite park for flower displays and water birds. You are 5 minutes from the Churchill War Rooms at this point. Turn left on the park paths and walk to the west end of the park and you are at Buckingham Palace. Or walk the loop to the NE corner of the park and walk The Mall to Trafalgar Square, gateway to the Theatre District and Covent Garden. For the Tower of London and St. Paul’s, you can catch the No. 15 double-decker bus east straight to the Tower, passing St. Paul’s and many historic buildings on the way. Ride upstairs for the best view. From the Tower you can take a boat from Tower Pier back to Westminster Pier to reach your hotel.

The hotel itself is a boutique hotel, with comfortable rooms above the pub where breakfast is served. Very different ambiance from a big chain hotel like Premier Inn. I compared prices for the 2, and found them similar, but it varies by date—-literally day to day for Premier Inn. Sanctuary House rates are lower on weekends, and they offer a discount of 25% for stays of 3 nights or longer. Both came in around £850-900 for 4 nights over a weekend, with August being less expensive than July, for rooms with comparable amenities (meaning a Premier Plus room rather than standard). But the Premier Inn prices are quoted without breakfast, while the Sanctuary Inn price includes breakfast (I did not check if that is continental breakfast or “Full English”. If you add breakfast at the Premier Inn, it adds £20-25 per night for 2 people.

Posted by
2745 posts

I am looking at a lot of options in the South Kensington area which are well within your budget (either in dollars or pounds) It's got good connections via the tube to places you want to go. I've stayed in that area quite often and would recommend it.

Posted by
6318 posts

I always recommend the Premier Inns for moderately priced hotels. They are very conveniently located (including, as Carol now retired said) in South Bank (PI Waterloo and PI County Hall), which is close to many of the sites. Their rooms are clean, beds are very comfortable, and they are consistently good. I've stayed at several Scotland (including Edinburgh) and plan to spend 5 nights at the Premier Inn County Hall during my visit to England next month.

Posted by
16273 posts

South Kensington is not as good as being right near Westminster Abbey and St. James Park for people who like to walk a lot (which we do). It is also not as good for riding the Thames Uber boats, which is a really nice way to get downriver to the Tower of London, Tower Bridge, Borough Market, etc.

However, South Kensington is fine if you are OK with riding the Tube (which I am not). And it is a nice neighborhood.