Please sign in to post.

Bed Sizes

I wasn't really sure which category to post this question. The bed sizes in England (or on any of the RS Tours) when it indicates "double" are the beds a "full" or "queen" size? Do most couples opt for the double or the 2 twins?

Posted by
7578 posts

A "double" refers to the room, meaning it is for two people. To fit two people, I have seen all kinds of arrangements...two single beds pushed together, a double/full size, a Queen, and I suppose sometimes a King, but few rooms are large enough in smaller hotels to allow that. The "two beds pushed together" seems to be common, then they can separate them if two people request a room with two beds.

One thing of note though, European bed sizes are different. US sizes vary in length according to their width, so a single width bed is also short, not so in Europe, it will be as long as a Queen or King here nearly.

Posted by
5557 posts

The bed sizes in England (or on any of the RS Tours) when it indicates "double" are the beds a "full" or "queen" size?

For the RS tours, bed sizes vary by country and hotel. The choice is really whether you want a room with one bed or two beds.

Posted by
15199 posts

Single--a bed for one person

Twin--two single beds

Double--a bed for two people. This can mean almost anything. You have to read the fine print.

Most newer hotels aren't designed with single rooms. The reason is it can only be sold to one person while a double could be sold to either one or two people.

When you see a double bed made up of two single beds it's so the room can be sold as a single, twin or double depending on how the bed is made up. For a hotelier it maximizes the use of the room.

To answer your questions, the size of the bed depends on the hotel.

Posted by
12 posts

We always book twin bed rooms so we can get as much bed room as possible. We just returned from London where we had a standard "king" room with king bed. That meant nothing really as the king bed is often a queen bed (cdn) as we found out, even though the picture had 2 twin beds pushed together. The super king bed is the size of 2 very small twins pushed together. We find we need to call the hotel to get the bed dimensions even with twin beds. Don't count on 3rd party bookings to be accurate on their bed terminology.