Please sign in to post.

Bath + London + ?

Hello! We are heading to England at the end of April. I’d like advice on our itinerary. I originally planned to do Bath-3 nights, London-4 nights, Paris-4 nights. Now I’m thinking maybe not adding an additional country to go to (and have to test to enter). I have visions of getting Covid in Paris and not speaking the language and trying to figure out how to quarantine, etc. (We have been to London and Paris several times before, Bath only once before, many years ago.)

If we stay in England, I’d like to add a third destination for 2-3 nights. I don’t really want to rent a car this time, so somewhere easily reachable by train. We’ve already been to Oxford and Cotswolds on previous trips.

Cambridge is an idea, and we haven’t been before, although we’d be there during their final exams, so the colleges would be closed to us, so that’s a bit of a bummer. Maybe not a deal breaker.

Looking for some inspiration, thanks in advance!

Posted by
7589 posts

York’s a good idea.

Or, stay on the same train a bit longer, and go to Edinburgh. You get a different country, but you’re still in the UK. Nice contrast with London.

Posted by
6113 posts

If you have been to Bath before, I would be tempted to see London, York and Edinburgh, as transport is easier to tie in than connecting with Bath. If Bath is a must, then I would add Cardiff.

Posted by
2469 posts

I would add Cardiff as it is just over 1 hour from Bath by direct train (hourly).

Should you choose Cardiff, be sure to go to St.Fagans Castle & Museum - around a 23 minute bus (32A) ride west from city centre. Also visit Caerphilly Castle = around a 20 minute train ride north. On return, suggest you get off at Lisvane = first stop south of tunnel and walk across the road into Cefn-Onn-Park which should be full of blue bells, azaleas, rhododendrons all in flower at end of April.
Of course, don’t miss Cardiff Castle in city centre, the National Museum of Wales and take the short bus or ferry ride down to the waterfront (Cardiff Bay). Castell Coch in north Cardiff is also worth seeing = Bus to Tongwynlais plus a 17 minute walk up the hill to the castle. Google the places mentioned.

A local mini bus tour operator is > https://www.seewales.com

Posted by
7867 posts

We stayed in Bath for three nights in 2017, at the Brooks Guesthouse, a great B&B and a wonderful fish and chips restaurants, The Scallop Shell nearby.

We did a day trip to Wells and Glastonbury, which was nice. Wells has a wonderful cathedral.

Posted by
66 posts

Well, we are headed to Bath first to see Jane Austen sites and a private guide will take us out to Hampshire to visit her birthplace Steventon, Jane Austen House in Chawton, and Winchester Cathedral where she is buried. Then we go to London where we have museums to see and tickets to Highclere castle amongst other things. So the third stop has to be at the end. We’d probably also go back to London on the last night to be poised for our flight (and get tested).

We have been to York and Edinburgh, but it’s been 20 years, so they are in the running.

Thanks for all suggestions, happy to hear more!

Posted by
14199 posts

What a fun tour! I hope you do a trip report when you get back!

I'd probably go for Salisbury for 2 or 3 nights. It's only an hour or so from Bath by train so a very easy trip. If you are interested in Stonehenge there is a local shuttle bus that runs out to the stones and back by Old Sarum, picks up at the train station and at a City Centre location. I love the Cathedral there as well as the Salisbury Museum. There are a number of smaller houses and museums on the Close around the Cathedral that had been open pre-covid (haven't check on the status lately). I'd do 2 nights if I did not want to do Stonehenge which will take most of a day especially if you stop at Old Sarum for an hour or so on the way back. I'd do 3 nights otherwise.

However, my likes might not match up with yours!

France has just dropped the requirement for a negative Covid test for entry to the country however...I'd still probably add time in England instead of adding another country.

Posted by
8836 posts

Drop Paris.

2 nights Bath at most. Train to Edinburgh, minimum 3 nights there. Edinburgh to either Durham or York for 2 night stay. Back to London.

Or train from London to Whitsable. 2 nights there. Train Travel to Canterbury. 2 nights. Back to London.

Posted by
6656 posts

I'll join Pam in recommending Salisbury, a lovely town, great cathedral, copy of Magna Carta, rediscovered frescoes in an old church, shuttle to Stonehenge, good rail service.

I haven't been to Cardiff (unless you count hitchhiking through 50 years ago) but that seems like a good choice too.

Posted by
14199 posts

@Dick! Isn't that Doom fresco something else? Wowser....

And I know many are not fans of Bath but honestly I can spend 4-5 days there and not run out of stuff to do. You are spending 1 full day doing the JA tour so I'd have at least another day to see the Roman Baths, Bath Abbey, Royal Crescent, The Circus.

BTW, the JA Centre in Bath is pathetic so don't waste your money there. She did not live there and the last time I was there they had nothing original of hers there either. I did do one of their walking tours during the JA Festival a number of Septembers ago and it was excellent. It was very cool seeing so many people in costume walking around town during the Festival.

The Holburne Museum in Bath has some very interesting special exhibitions. There is one going on now about The Tudors and ends in May. I'd love to see that one but have the problem in reverse from you...going to Paris and I just don't want to have to cope with EU/UK stuff for a few days mid-trip so I'll stay in France.

https://www.holburne.org/events/the-tudors-passion-power-politics/

Posted by
66 posts

Well, you’ve all been very helpful with advice, thank you. We decided to go ahead and go to Paris after all, since the testing requirement to enter was dropped, and our return plane tickets were already purchased. It’s so hard to get BA on the phone, I just punted and went w the original plan.

Thanks @Pam for the info on the Jane Austen Center. It does seem more like an “experience” than a true museum. My husband and I have a rule not to visit any place while in Europe that has the word experience in the name after a couple of duds.

Posted by
3039 posts

Bath could be a day trip from London (1h 30m) and I would definitely go to York by direct train (2h) and sleep there.

Posted by
14199 posts

My husband and I have a rule not to visit any place while in Europe that has the word experience in the name after a couple of duds.

Oh my, that made me literally laugh out loud. Good assessment of the JA Centre!

Fingers crossed the US will decide to drop the testing requirement for the return.