Please sign in to post.

Area by Paddington Station

I am trying to use up some British Airways miles and have found what looks like a great hotel a few blocks from Paddington Station. Is that an ok area?

Posted by
327 posts

We stayed in that area this past September for 3 nights (Sussex Gardens). There are plenty of reasonably priced restaurants and pubs nearby, plus it's a convenient walk to Hyde Park, Kensington Gardens and several tube stations. The Darlington Hotel worked well for us. So, yes, IMHO, it's an OK area.

Posted by
1443 posts

We stayed in a B & B in a townhouse that was between Notting Hill and Paddington. It is a typical London neighborhood with shopping arcades, plenty of restaurants and wine bars. Easy Tube connections and good thru bus routes. Mostly other tourists. We wanted to be near Portobello Street market which is an easy bus ride.

Posted by
6428 posts

I stayed eight nights at the Delmere on Sussex Gardens, a couple of blocks from the station, two months ago. The neighborhood is certainly safe and convenient to the tube and rail. I didn't find it especially charming and I didn't have any great eating experiences, but there were lots of restaurants and pubs. I was looking mainly for a good location for transportation. Hyde Park is a few blocks away.

If you're happy with the hotel itself, there's no reason not to stay there.

Posted by
2165 posts

Also, you are in the area of Little Venice. It's the opposite direction from the park and Queensway-I walked through Paddington Station from Praad St. and discovered the canals and a lovely walk. You might recognize the area from the latest Jason Bourne movie.

Posted by
231 posts

I live about a 10 minute walk away from Paddington Station, towards Bayswater. Its safe and popular with travelers from all over the world.

It's a fine location in that you have access to multiple tube lines in Paddington Station itself, as well as Lancaster Gate for the Central Line. If you want to walk, you can get to Hyde Park in about 10 minutes, and to Marble Arch (and the better end of Oxford Street!) in about 20 minutes.

Depending on where your hotel is situated, your eating options are varied. Praed Street (out the south side or front of the station) is a chain heavy thoroughfare, but get a few streets away to find more independent restaurants.

If you do streetview on Google maps, you can take a look at what's available.

When are you coming? There are events on certain weekends (Google canalway cavalcade for an example,) and as mentioned, Portobello Market is on every weekend and is easily within reach (although I'm lazy and take the bus!)