Please sign in to post.

Apartment Rental In London

Hello! I'd love some advice. I'm looking at three possible apartment rentals for a week long trip to London in February 2025. One is by St. Mary Abbots church and Kensington High street, 2) is on Cornwall Gardens in South Kensington and 3) is on Bramham Gardens in the Earls Court area. Any recommendations as to which has a better location for a winter trip? It will be myself and my spouse and 12 year old child traveling. I've been to London a couple times before but have never stayed this far west, past trips were just a few days in length and closer to the main tourist areas in hotels. We are hoping to stay somewhere with good access to the Tube and within walking distance of some restaurants and shops.
I will say I also found another apartment I liked near Eccleston Place and Elizabeth which seems like it might be a better location for sight seeing but it was quite a bit more expensive.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

Posted by
119 posts

I live in West London (Chelsea Creek) and love it. All 3 listings you mention would be very convenient for sightseeing, while also feeling like local neighborhoods. Earl’s Court tube stop is served by the Piccadilly and District Lines. Both South Ken and High Street Kensington are served by the District and Central lines. There are loads of buses as well, and West London is crammed with excellent shopping and eating options. If you choose South Kensington, you’ll be by “museum row,” as well.

Both South Kensington and High Street Kensington are quite upscale. The Earl’s Court area is a tad scruffier, but cheerful, lively, and perfectly safe.

Posted by
16070 posts

Both South Ken and High Street Kensington are served by the District and Central lines

I think you meant Circle Line and not Central Line.

The Earl’s Court area is a tad scruffier, but cheerful, lively, and perfectly safe.

Maybe twenty years ago but now it's full of multi-million dollar houses and flats. The only "scruffies" you might see now would be on the days that Chelsea plays at home.

I know all three of the areas you mention. The first is close to the High Street Kensington tube stop and there is a Whole Foods virtually across the street. Plenty of restaurants nearby.

The second one is a few blocks west of the Gloucester Road tube stop and there is a Sainsbury supermarket nearby.

The third place is less than two blocks from where I rest my head. Nice area, lots of restaurants, pubs, grocers, specialty food shops and regular shop within a few minutes walk.

Posted by
119 posts

Frank II:

Ack!

1) Yes, I did! (Blushes furiously.)
2) Yes, there are lots of millionaires in the Earl’s Court area, but I still contend the area (at least right next to the tube stop) feels a tad scruffier.
3) Was that a jab at Chelsea fans!!?? Them’s fighting words, my friend! ;-) (just kidding emoji)

Also! At High Street Kensington there is, as Frank II notes, a Whole Foods - and there is also an M&S food hall, with a wide selection of pre-made foods, a hot food counter, a bakery, etc. M&S does frequent deals on pre-made antipasti and stuff like that - quick grab ‘n’ go stuff of better than average quality.

Posted by
16070 posts

There's also an M & S Simply Food one block from the corner of Braham Gardens and Earl Court Road.

The Earls Court Road Station has probably the healthiest entrance in the entire Underground network. Outside on one side is Pret a Manger and on the other side is Leon.

Posted by
2 posts

What do you guys think about the Belgravia area? My husband is leaning towards an apartment we found near Eccleston Pl and Elizabeth because it appears we might be able to walk to more tourist sites from that location. What do you think? We're going to be going in February (so will we want to walk or is the Tube a better option anyway?). Also this apartment is more expensive than the S. Kensington options and I'm not sure if it's worth it based on location alone. Thanks for the previous advice!

Posted by
1212 posts

Depending on where you are in that given location, Belgravia as an address might be stretching it a bit. If you're right in a nice street off Ebury Street or around, it's still a "better" location than Earls Court of South Ken. As you're closer up to Knightsbridge, your neighbours are getting into "global 1%" territory, rather than just run-of-the-mill rich person.

If you like walking, that is a good location to see Buckingham Palace or to walk up Piccadilly into the west end. You also have Knightsbridge on your doorstep, if the really high end of shopping and eating appeals.

I don't really like the Victoria area. There's plenty of amenities but it always seems a bit noisy and congested for my taste. Victoria tube station is well connected, but not my favourite either. It can be an absolute zoo at rush hour with the number of people using it.

South Kensington and Earls Court are good locations for the visitor too of course, and many people on here (like Frank II above) have spent much more time there than me, so are better placed to comment.