Please sign in to post.

Apartment in London

We are planning to travel to London in September 2016 and it would be a family of 8 adults.
Some are seniors and we wanted a place close to the tube or within walking distance of shops, grocery stores, restaurants etc.
Can anyone recommend an apartment or a hotel chain with apartments for us to look at.
We just need a microwave and fridge in the room really but it might be more cost effective to have a two bedroom apartment with a full kitchen.
Thanks for your help.

Posted by
824 posts

I suggest you look at TripAdvisor "Vacation Rentals" or their UK partner HolidayLettings.com.

My personal preference in London is the Earl's Court/Kensington/Knightsbridge (SW5 & SW7 postal codes) triangle, but you do pay a premium for this area. But, my philosophy is that if I'm going to plunk down several thousand dollars on airfare, I'm not going to try to save a couple hundred by staying somewhere that is inconvenient or takes an inordinate amount of commuting time.

Posted by
565 posts

We had a family of five a couple of years ago, two 60s and the three of us in our thirties in a very large (by West Kensington standards) 3 bedroom/2 bath flat. It worked but I wouldn't add another person to that if I ever wanted to see them again. We tried to find something larger and there was no such thing outside of our somewhat generous budget. You may be best to look at a couple of flats in the same neighborhood or what I have heard about here and on tripadvisor as Aparthotels.

Posted by
565 posts

You will absolutely need at least 2 two bedroom apartments. As closely as short-term rentals are looked at, there are max occupancy laws that scrupulous landlords don't mess around with.

As Airbnb is more geared towards singles and couples, VRBO or HomeAway might have better options for groups. Although Airbnb is worth a look.

Posted by
2181 posts

The one time we rented an apartment in South Kensington in was advertised as sleeping 4. It was advertised as a 1 bedroom and a fold- out couch. The bedroom fit my husband and I snugly. The fold out was literally cushions that unfolded and ended up being essentially a mattress on the floor. Also, there was no way a second adult could have fit.

So, advice is to read any and all reviews carefully and remember that space is tighter there. Ask lots of question.

Posted by
4684 posts

Try the Ascott chain http://www.the-ascott.com. They have a number of London residences, mostly with their Citadines brand but also two more luxurious ones.

Note that Citadines four-person rooms usually have one double bed and one sofabed.

Posted by
643 posts

I have done business and am very satisfied with the firm, In The English Manner, and would recommend you contact Gloria and ask her. She is the local USA booking representative and is very helpful. With a full kitchen you also get a washer/dryer which is very handy.

Posted by
1806 posts

I just recently recommended Citadines Trafalgar Square location to a friend who booked a 2 bedroom for her family. I knew they would like the location as it is extremely close to multiple tube and bus stops (bus much easier for the seniors as the tube often has long corridors and lots of stairs to navigate) and lots of black cabs running through that area. Also, there is a Tesco market within 2 blocks of Citadines Trafalgar and many shops, restaurants and sightseeing. Their apartment had a washer/dryer and kitchen.

That particular location of Citadines has everything from studios that sleep 2 up to the 2 Bedroom Apartments - just depends how much privacy your group might want - but you most definitely will not fit all 8 adults into a single 2 bedroom unit.

Citadines does have other locations around London, but I believe Trafalgar the only location that has 2 Bedroom offerings.

London School of Economics also offers apartments (and standard guest rooms) for tourists at some of their locations scattered around London. LSE's Northumberland House (located right across the street from Citadines Trafalgar location) does not have apartments, but their guest rooms are serviced daily by housekeeping and they do have a small kitchenette and laundry facilities that are available for guests to use. If you want to inquire about any of LSE's tourist lodgings, you should either call or email them directly with specific dates. Their website frequently shows them as being fully booked when they are not.

Posted by
484 posts

Thanks for all the helpful replies. You all are fantastic!
I was thinking of 2 one bedroom apartments and not just one :-).
I will check out the various recommendations and see what suits us best. There are apartments available but most of the time they do not have staff on the property and you have to go to another location for the keys etc.
Thank you all again. I will do some research based on the replies here and I am sure I will somewhere suitable.

Posted by
244 posts

We stayed at Vancouver Studios this September. We loved it! They have two bedroom and three bedroom apartments. They are recommended by Rick Steves. We really enjoyed the apartments. The hotel is at a different location, but once we checked in they sent us to our apartment in a prepaid taxi. They were very helpful at all hours. We highly recommend the apartments.

Posted by
11289 posts

There are apartments available but most of the time they do not have staff on the property and you have to go to another location for the keys etc.

I have had this happen only one in too many rentals to count. In every other case they either:

• meet us at the apartment

• meet us at the bus/boat/Metro stop

• have a coded entry not requiring someone to bring keys