Please sign in to post.

Another Heathrow connection question

I've done research both on this site and elsewhere on the web, so I understand the connection process but am looking for anecdotal data points on this question:

I'm planning a connection wholly within Terminal 2, Dublin-Heathrow-Calgary, for next summer. The first flight is a short hop from Dublin on Aer Lingus, so hopefully can't get too screwed up. Then a 2-hour layover to connect to my flight to Canada. This helpful Heathrow Personal Connection Planner says it's well within limits. They say that the 5 steps necessary for the connection, including re-clearing security, should take 60 minutes, half the time I will have. The link is to a very helpful page on the Heathrow site, though my data will probably have expired when you click on it.

I have not been to or through London since I was a teenager, mumble-mumble years ago. The flight will be on one Air Canada ticket, so I'm willing to give it a shot and let AC rebook me if it fails, as long as it's the same non-stop the next day. I don't like intra-Canada hops, it's just so much more time and effort to come through Montreal or Toronto or Vancouver rather than straight home. Plus I'm a sucker for the comfy 787s and don't want to go home on Rouge.

Can anyone offer experiences with 2-hour connections at Terminal 2? Any experiences with AC's service if a connection fails - do I get to pick my preferred rebooked flight or do I have to take what they give me? I will have mid-level airline status next year, so I'm hoping they will listen. Thanks for your insight.

Posted by
7731 posts

some thing to consider:
you have a long time til next summer; the whole flight itinerary may change by then;

Posted by
1028 posts

true, though they are selling the ticket with those times for my dates now. But I've had plenty of itinerary changes before and I will keep an eye on it. I just really don't want to leave Dublin the night before, I'm not that wild to get home.

Posted by
5311 posts

You normally have to accept what they offer, although if there isn't any additional cost involved and your preferred option is available it is usually not a problem..

Note though that if any misconnection is down to the airline EU261 compensation is normally payable at €600 for a delay of more than 4 hours. So EI/AC might be keen to get you home under that time if this is possible via other flights that day.

With T2-T2 transfers what tends to take up the time is the distance to walk rather than security backups.

Posted by
1028 posts

Thanks, Marco, that's very helpful information. I think I'll probably give it a go as planned.

Posted by
4023 posts

Unfortunately I have had experience with Air Canada rebooking after failed connections. They were reasonable about the process. However, the reality of current air travel is that most airplanes are nearly full (and airlines are turning a profit) so the amount of choice at the last minute will be limited. Once I was offered an upgrade, which eased the stress. But your two-hour transfer should be routine. In the unlikely case of something going wrong, try to follow the English cliché and stay calm. Gate agents being human, they are more likely to try harder for a pleasant, co-operative customer.