Please sign in to post.

Airfare to London

I've been searching for airfares to London in August. They're all between $1200 and $1300 per person right now. That's for 1 layover and mabye 11-12 hour flight/layover time. Should I wait another month and check or is this about as good as you think it will get? I've never flown to England and it's been quite a few years since I've flown to other places in Europe.

I want to start planning hotel/air bnb stays but it's hard to do without a definite flight time.

Posted by
2375 posts

It seems unlikely that August prices will go down at this point, but if you tell us your departure Airport somebody might have a suggestion.

Posted by
1416 posts

From San Diego, we’re seeing minimum ticket prices of $1,400 for London and about anywhere in the EU.. Los Angeles is slightly less. I think fares will be high from now until September.

Posted by
4517 posts

If you are still in Kentucky, I am seeing Louisville on AA/SAS/AA for $850 late Aug into Sept. via Chicago or Dulles and thru Copenhagen, Google flights says "call SAS to book." There are also flights on Delta, American or United for about $1100.

Note that major airlines now have dropped change fees, so you can book now and reclaim a price drop as a voucher.

If a day flight interests you and an early departure is not a problem, there are connections to flights in Chicago and Dulles that arrive the same day.

Posted by
417 posts

Yes, that sounds about right for August, and they're not likely to get any less expensive. Also, there are a lot of taxes added to your airfare when you fly to Heathrow.
Have you checked other airports within a few hours of you?
You could also try searching flight prices from a major hub - JFK, Chicago, Boston - and if they're signficantly less, taking a positioning flight to that hub. If you go that route, leave yourself plenty of time between flights.

Posted by
8372 posts

Those rates are high, but they may also be typical for this year. One pundit called this “the sold out summer “ because travel demand is so high. Just imagine how that will increase even further if testing is dropped from US entry requirements.

Posted by
33 posts

I checked flights from Louisville and Cincinatti about a month ago and they weren't much different. I'm an hour from one and 2 1/2 from the other. I'd prefer to fly out of Lexington, which is much more convienent for me. Flying into Heathrow because we will be meeting my son there, he will be picking us up.

Oh, it is this year. Thanks for all the replies.

Posted by
4517 posts

There are a lot of $1000 one stop options for week-long trips in August from Lexington. Use a website like google.com/flights and then pick to buy from an airline from one of the bottom links. These are good prices with 3 months warning. Connections are a bit long for the cheaper prices though, about 5 hours, and no seat selection.

Posted by
1819 posts

"Just imagine how that will increase even further if testing is dropped from US entry requirements." Any possibility that might happen soon?

Posted by
8660 posts

Book your flight now.

One less thing to have to think about.

Booked my July flight in January.

Posted by
8141 posts

Check out Jet Blue for airfares in the $800's for August.

You would be doing a change of planes at JFK.