Please sign in to post.

Afternoon Tea in London

My husband and I will be in London for 3 days (Friday - Sunday), next May and we would like to enjoy the experience of Afternoon Tea. Looking for recommendations. We will be dressed travel casual (no suit jackets, flip flops, sandals, shorts).

A few recommendation already received are: Biscuiteers, Ivy Chelsea Garden and Fortnum & Mason.

Posted by
6414 posts

I will second the recommendation for the Fortnum & Mason tea. I really enjoyed it and the food was wonderful!

Posted by
1078 posts

The Petersham Hotel in Richmond (suburb of London) has a wonderful afternoon tea, you can sit on the terrace and look out over the Thames river if it is nice out. The food was excellent!

Posted by
8688 posts

Wholeheartedly agree with Donald about the Petersham Hotel. Pleasant spot for afternoon tea. Then you could stroll along the Thames Path up to the Trumpeters House and Gardens. Should be lovely in May. https://findagarden.ngs.org.uk/

In May there should be a number of rowers practicing on the Thames. Always a pleasant diversion. So are all the residents out and about with their families and their dogs.

Posted by
101 posts

It's been quite a while since I was last in London, but my husband and I had it at the Great Court Restaurant in the British Museum. It was really nice.

Posted by
4345 posts

I didn't quite understand what you said about dressing "travel casual"-but if you go to F&M(which I highly recommend-but be aware that it's expensive) ,you need to wear business casual-polo shirt and khakis for men. I dress casually on trips but I would not wear white tennis shoes or jeans there.

Posted by
9422 posts

Best Afternoon Tea i’ve ever had was at Fortnum & Mason. You really can wear whatever you like there (within reason), my two friends were very casually dressed, not business casual (no polos, no khaki) and others there were too. I was business casual. But they were not strict, not snobbish at all. It is expensive but it’s all you can eat and the highest quality everything. I can’t wait to go back again.

Posted by
620 posts

KDH, this past June we enjoyed the afternoon tea at the Zetter Townhouse. The food, service and tea itself, were all excellent. Added value was the quirky décor plus the casual dress code. Not one iota of stuffiness. Best on weekends, when you might just run into a wedding party there in May!
I am done. the tea

Posted by
10 posts

We really enjoyed afternoon tea at Duke's Hotel, near Green Park. It was served in the drawing room, so sofas and armchairs for seating, with tea service on the coffee table. Less formal, but comfortable and very nice indeed, and the sandwiches and pastries were delicious!

Posted by
593 posts

We really enjoyed afternoon tea at Duke's Hotel, near Green Park. It was served in the drawing room, so sofas and armchairs for seating, with tea service on the coffee table. Less formal, but comfortable and very nice indeed, and the sandwiches and pastries were delicious!

laknightca I’m glad to hear your firsthand report of Dukes. A local recommended it to me but I hadn’t had the chance yet to try it. Will put it on the list!