Please sign in to post.

Advice on where to stay in London

We will be in London for 3 days please suggest where do we stay to visit the below mentioned places.

Chelsea FC Stadium Tours
Windsor Castle
Tower Bridge
Westminister Abbey
London Eye
Big Ben
River Thames
Trafalgar Square
Houses of Parliament

Posted by
503 posts

London has an excellent public transportation system so anywhere in central London will work for visiting all of the places you've listed. Not knowing your budget, it's difficult to make more specific recommendations.

Posted by
3551 posts

If you are a budget to moderate traveler consider Premier hotels or Traveloge inns. Well run and many London locations. They are chain internet hotels.

Posted by
1226 posts

If you post on the England forum instead of Switzerland, you may get a larger variety of responses. Myself, I would stay at Premier Inn County Hall right at the London Eye.

Posted by
8 posts

My family and I have stayed st Amba Hotel Charing Cross which is minutes away from Trafalger Square and 2 tube stations, Charing Cross and Embankment. It is not inexpensive, but less expensive than other hotels in this 4 star class and a perfect location. The breakfast is wonderful and the breakfast room is charming.

Posted by
170 posts

You’ll want to stay along the green and yellow tube lines (Circle and District).

Houses of Parliament, Westminster Abbey and Big Ben are the same cluster of buildings (Abbey across the road from Parliament). Note that the clock tower (Victoria Clock? Big Ben is the bell I believe) is under scaffolding for a few more years.

The Houses of Parliament are on the Thames. Across the Westminster Bridge is the London Eye. Long way of saying 4 of your items are within a Tiger Woods drive of each other.

Tower Bridge is 20 minutes on the Circle and District tubes.

Trafalgar Square is 15 minutes from the Abbey if you’re walking.

The Bridge is also on the District line (green tube).

So staying in or around Westminster is about as centrally locates for tour itinerary as possible. May make sense to look at staying in Victoria as well. May be a cheaper option there.

Windsor is outside the city but near Heathrow. Are you flying to London? Flying out of London.

Posted by
15 posts

Others have mentioned the Circle (Green Line) - good one. We've stayed in Earls Court a few times at the Hotel Indigo London - Kensington. Earls Court Station is step free to the street and you can also take the Piccadilly (Blue Line) straight in from Heathrow. I've found the station to be a good one - not huge crowds and easy to manage.

Cromwell Road has a bunch of hotels too - it is a very busy road but saw many people making the 5 - 10 minute walk from Earls Court to Cromwell Road.

Earls Court very close to Stamford Bridge - on game days, you'll have a large Chelsea contingent walking to the station from the stadium.

Posted by
4684 posts

The green-coloured line on the map is the District, the Circle is yellow.

Don't refer to tube lines by colour if you're asking directions in London, most Londoners call them by their proper names and would have to think about which was which. (Not to mention that there are two different "blue" lines, one light and one dark.)

Posted by
6528 posts

Most of those places are within about a 20 minutes walk from Parliament. As stated, with the underground, it’s easy to get everywhere so unless you really want to stay near one of those places, pick an area of the city you really want to stay in. We always stay near the Gloucester Rd. tube stop and it’s a 20 minute ride to Westminster Abbey. On our recent trip we stayed at the Ashburn, but normally stay at the Radisson Edwardian Vanderbilt. Both are on Cromwell road.