Please sign in to post.

Advice needed

December weather in London

My family of four are planning to spend the holidays in London this year. Can anybody tell me what the weather is like? We have two children ages 1 & 5, we are a bit worried about the cold and rain being too much for them to handle. Any input will be appreciated. Thank you.

Posted by
1322 posts

It will be warm, cold, quiet, windy, cloudy, clear, with sun shine, rain, hail, snow - probably all of it every day.

Posted by
80 posts

Practically everything on Christmas and Boxing day (including public transit) will be closed. It gets dark around 4pm and light around 8am.

Posted by
8141 posts

Average low 37 degrees, average highs 47 degrees. December is one of the three months with the most precipitation which is experienced 10 days out of the month.

We didn't take our daughter on international trips until age 11. Taking such young children overseas will take away from your vacation as they require so much attention. And the logistics of luggage, etc. will be very difficult.

Posted by
11294 posts

I was in London for much of the month of December, 1985 (so, only one data point). I was coming from Philadelphia and so was used to that weather. I didn't find it that cold, and I wasn't bothered by the rain (sure it rained sometimes, but not every day). Yes, the days were short. But what bothered me the most was how it never got very light out, even in the middle of the day. It was dark even compared to Philadelphia; if you're used to brighter light than I was (say, if you're from Miami or Southern California), you may have even more trouble than I did.

Posted by
3207 posts

We spent Christmas in York a few years ago, and then days before in Edinburgh. I love the Xmas fairs and your children will as well! We planned to stay put Xmas day and Boxing day. Christmas Eve was busy late with young people out and about...seemingly not with their families, which I thought was odd, but certainly provided much entertainment. My DH went to services at Minster Abbey. Xmas day was totally quiet. We had made reservations a few months before for Xmas dinner at a restaurant, which was fun. Otherwise, we strolled around and enjoyed the charming little old city. Afterwards, on Xmas we went to the cinema. Boxing day was busy with shoppers, etc. I think London activities would be similar.

Another Christmas we spend in Ealing(London) with family. Xmas Eve at pubs were much fun but your babies will be in bed by then. Xmas day was at home and out walking.

Clothes: All my winter travels to the UK, so far, were fine with an unlined leather jacket, leather gloves, scarf and earmuffs if really cold for them (note: I'm from New England). If it was particularly cold, I also wore a boiled wool sweater. We are outside most of the time walking or walking between activities. Rain rarely interferes or comes for an extended period, in our experience. If the kids are in strollers, which I suspect they often will be, just layer them up more. Pack up one or two of those stroller rain coats if you would feel better. Enjoy your kids and the traveling. It goes all so fast, and someday you will be able to have all adult vacations you can...even with them, but in the meantime, enjoy their childhoods AND travel. Wray

Posted by
12040 posts

I know exactly what Harold meant. When you fly from most of the US (and even Canada) to western Europe in the winter, for the most part, you're moving significantly to the north. Considering that the human body uses daylight cues to set it's circadian rhythm, and the sudden disruption of that rhythm after travel, the lack of direct sunlight in the depths of winter can have a noticeable psychologic effect. The first time I flew from the US to Europe in the winter was from Washington DC to Brussles. The temperature difference was negligible (it may even have been warmer in Belgium). But the sudden change in daylight was very disrupting. I almost found myself having "sun hunger" for the first time in my life...this from someone who generally avoids sunny destinations and never intentionally sun bathes.

Posted by
27105 posts

This is a significant issue for me as well. There's a huge difference in my energy level when the days get shorter and there's not much sun. It's the main reason I tend to take spring-to-summer trips rather than summer-to-fall trips. The prospect of a winter vacation in Europe is most unattractive to me. But it's no problem at all for many people. People like me--we know who we are; we're fine as long as we understand our limitations and aren't forced to schedule our vacations at someone else's convenience.

Posted by
15582 posts

Harold is so right. When the sun does shine, it's lower on the horizon, so noon feels like 3 p.m.