Please sign in to post.

Advice for first timers in the Peak District June-July 2018

Hello all, my family (two adults in their 30's, two children ages 3 and 5) are very excited to explore the Peak District for a whole month this summer starting in the middle of June. We will be staying about a 15 minute drive from Chatsworth House. We are foodies that enjoy nature, culture, history and finding fun activities that are interesting for our children. We do plan on visiting Chatsworth several times, along with visiting the towns of Bakewell, Buxton, and Castleton. Can you help us by recommending things to do and any helpful tips that we Americans may need to know of in advance? We will have a rental car for this trip.

Posted by
239 posts

Gosh, that's a big question. Bring your walking boots and explore Dovedale, Mam Tor and Kinder Scout (Dovedale will be quieter on a weekday); go down one of the blue john caverns near Castleton; Haddon Hall is excellent, or a bit further away Hardwick Hall. but more than anything, it's fabulous walking country. Also, get the Good Pub Guide as there are some great places to eat & drink and you'll need a guide.

Posted by
4684 posts

Your children might be interested in The National Tramway Museum at Crich - a recreated Edwardian British city centre and many preserved trams (streetcars) in a former quarry.

Posted by
117 posts

The children may enjoy Heights of Abraham. What attracted you to base yourself in the Peak District?

Posted by
1209 posts

Of the show caves at Castleton, Blue John is the best value should be do able with the kids.
Lots of steps as you descend about 400 ft within the cave.
Our village has its big day mid June, Edale Country Day,it's just over the hill from Castleton.Its especially scenic by going via Winnats Pass rather than Hope.
Churnet valley steam railway.
The outdoor pool at Hathersage.

There's a donkey sanctuary just south of Buxton and the excellent Royal Oak pub is only a couple of miles further at Hurdlow.
What's on, peakdistrict is a good listing too.

Posted by
1209 posts

Bit out of area but
Conker's at Ashby de la Zouche and Trent Adventures might be worth a look

Posted by
392 posts

Alton Towers theme park has a lot of thrill seeking rides but also gentle rides the children will enjoy in 'CBeebies land' and nicely landscaped gardens. It's expensive but once you're over here look out for vouchers in newspapers or on cereal boxes which will give you 2 for 1 entry to Merlin attractions (the parent company that runs it)

Posted by
21 posts

Thank you for all of the helpful advice. We have added several of your suggestions to our must-see list. Any recommendations for rainy day indoor activities?

Also, in addition to Bolsover Castle, are there any other castles worth a drive to for the day? We don't mind an occasional 90 minute drive if there is plenty to see and do once there.

We are looking forward to experiencing the stunning scenery, good food, and exploring many of the activities, including ones geared towards younger ones. The Peak District just seemed to have a good blend of things that we typically enjoy. Our trip changed locations in England a few times as we became more familiar with various areas, but we haven't had any desire to change since stumbling upon the Peak District.

Posted by
32747 posts

Do you watch - or have you watched - Last of the Summer Wine? Where it was filmed isn't a million miles away from where you will be.

Posted by
1209 posts

Sexy part of the world Yorkshire..Netherthong ,Wombwell and Penistone are not too far away.
Heartlands was partially filmed in the peak district and had it's world premier in Holmfirth.

Posted by
32747 posts

You lucky bunny, Emma.

I'm heading that way as soon as weather allows. I'll be passing on the way to visit friends in the wilds of North Yorkshire. I've heard tell that the sun sometimes shines in North Yorkshire. I'll try to catch some.

We are lucky to have on this little forum you at your brother's in Holmfirth and Richard in Edale, to say nothing of ryanandgill somewhere up there.

Ey Up.

Beautiful countryside and not a drop of the Cotswolds to be seen anywhere.

Posted by
117 posts

“ I've heard tell that the sun sometimes shines in North Yorkshire.”

Yup. (Although i’m technically in East Yorkshire) It’s shining right now! At least I think that’s what that strange object in the sky is!

Posted by
1279 posts

And me! And me! Sat under Ilkley Moor. You can’t get much more Yorkshire than that!

Posted by
392 posts

Ooh never been accused of being from 'up north' Nigel! I'm 20 years London 20 years South Wales and long term lover of the Island of Sark!

Posted by
6113 posts

I am from Saddleworth - just living in Kent at present. If you visit Holmfirth and enjoy walking, the long distance footpath The Pennine Way passes nearby.

Posted by
1209 posts

We ought to copy our american users and have a met up..
Did any of you catch the stunning result from this years montane spine race.....I talked to a fair few of the runners as they set off to RUN the Pennine way..put my 3 week wander into harsh relief.
That said, ever seen a smiling fell runner!
Sort of a wet weather diversion.. the Devils Arse cavern have a series of concerts in the cave during the year.

Over near the Churnet Valley..Les Oakes reclamation yard is a quirky place to vist.
The Crag Inn in Wildboarclough is a hidden corner.
Blaze Farm , makes ice cream has a good cafe and its own nature trail.

And for extra quirkyness ( you might notice pubs loom large), the Yew Tree at Cauldon Low

Posted by
32747 posts

oops - wrong "and"

I'm not confused.

Back for the OP, yep, plenty to do up north.

Posted by
1279 posts

Hey Richard -

As an ancient member of a running club I was watching the Spine Race with great interest! Score one for nursing mothers! Apparently she put her success down to her baby, saying she had learnt to survive without much sleep, although she was hallucinating a little by the end!. And she was expressing milk for her newborn at various checkpoints. All this ‘weaker sex’ stuff is just a ruse, clearly. My hat is well and truly doffed.

Like you we plan a much steadier three week slog up the Pennine Way later in the year. It’s all booked, just have to get some miles into the legs and get ‘hill fit’!

For the OP we enjoyed Monsal Dale. The walk along the old railway bed does have the benefit of being flat too, although a circular walk would involve some upping and downing!

Ian

Posted by
21 posts

I really appreciate the advice, the trails that have been mentioned all seem doable with kids. It’s the three year old we have to worry about, the five year old has no problems keeping up with and sometimes outlasting the adults.

This is a bit of a strange question but are trainers/tennis shoes typically what children would wear to visit petting farms, or do we need to plan on putting the kids in wellies/rain boots? I couldn’t find the answer to this, so I appreciate any help.

I hadn’t heard of Holmfirth before so thank you for the mention. It isn’t that far from where we are staying. We do like reading stories and watching things that relate to areas we travel to. Will have to check out The Last of the Summer Wine.

We might be staying in York for a night. It seems like a fun place to have a vacation from our vacation.

Posted by
32747 posts

I'd put them in wellies if it were my choice. No matter what they step in they wash off. Not so with the other shoes.

How fastidious are they about staying clean?

Posted by
1209 posts

No one has a bad word for York...and with good reason
My American cousins visit every year and every year we go to York.

Just south of Holmfirth is the Oil Can Cafe ...not made it there yet but it gets great reviews

Posted by
21 posts

My children would prefer to be clean on the farm visits, especially where natural fertilizer might be mixed in with the dirt. I think wellies are the way to go for us. They can be cleaned easily. Thanks for the tip! I have found the Last of the Summer Wine series. It's great, we will definitely plan a visit there.

Posted by
1209 posts

You can tell a Yorkshireman,but you can't tell him much...

The theme to All Creatures Great and Small for those of us of a certain generation is a comfort jacket.
More filmic Yorkshire, Full Monty and Brassed Off.
As a tyke doing missionary work in Derbyshire....I will also recommend Kelham Island Museum in Sheffield.
Great for kids and good cafe.
Oh and YouTube ,Richard Hawley "Heart of Oak" filmed round castleton Mam Tor and Burbage Brook