Please sign in to post.

accomodations in london

Planning trip next June. will be taking the train from York to London and when ending trip will fly out of Heathrow. Have not purchased flights yet and probably will not do so for awhile. However I am booking rooms . knowing where I am coming from and departing from , I am asking for advice on which of these hotels would make most logic. I know people have recommended the Premiere Inn at Waterloo, i am also considering the Indigo Kensington (near natural history museum) and the Holiday Inn Express at Southwark. Sights I am interested in are Westminster Abbey, Buckingham Palace, British Museum and possibly Kew Gardens. I am here for 3 nights. Having never been to London before I am asking if any of these hotels makes more logic to stay at one over another. I have been sent info and sites to review for using tube etc. have not had time to familiarize myself with them as of today. Appreciate your suggestions! thanks Susan

Posted by
11156 posts

As you plan, print out a Tube map to reference. We love staying in Kensington and the fact that we love the area is most important to us. We can jump on a bus or the Tube with our Oyster cards and get to whichever sites we want to visit.

Posted by
14988 posts

I know the Hotel Indigo. While I have not stayed there, my regular hotel is around the corner. It is one block from the Earls Court tube station and is just under a mile to the Natural History Museum. (It's two stops by tube.) It's also not airconditioned and depending on when in June you'll be visiting, it can be hot.

I'm going to suggest two hotels and both are Premier Inns. The first is near the Hotel Indigo--Premier Inn Earls Court. Almost as near to the Earls Court Station and much closer to the bus to take you to Museum Row if you don't want to walk. It's about a 15 minute tube ride to Westminster Abbey/Buckingham Palace area and a closer ride to Kew Gardens than the other.

The other Premier Inn is the Premier Inn St. Pancras. Walking distance to the British Museum and a quick tube ride to the other sites you mention.

I stuck with Premier Inns because it seemed like you were looking for budget hotels. You might also want to check out Resident Hotels. (I'm a regular, or at least I was prior to the pandemic, at the Resident Kensgington (formerly the Nadler Kensington.)

Posted by
8660 posts

Given what you've expressed that you want to see during your short visit consider staying at the HUB by Premiere Inn Westminster on Dacre Street. Small rooms but well laid out and a great location for first time visitors. As you desire to visit Parliament Square ( Parliament, Westminster Abbey, Churchill War Rooms and Birdcage Walk which will take you through St James Park to the Palace) this HUB hotel is an ideal locale. Clean, modern, good price for the center of London.

Your train from York will arrive at King's Cross Station. At Kings Cross use a debit or credit card to purchase an Oyster card. There are machines to do this. Once you have your card glance around to locate pocket sized Tube maps. Most often you could find these near a manned Underground ticket window although cut backs may have caused manned station windows to close. If maps are still available and as of 2019 they still were, grab a pocket sized Tube map. Easy to use as reference during your stay. Very help to plot your routes.

To get from Kings Cross station to the HUB by Premiere Inn Westminster on Dacre Street take a Victoria underground train from the adjacent Euston Station to Victoria Station and walk ( maybe 3 minutes) to the HUB from there. Use Google maps to see how close Euston is to St Pancras. Its an easy walk and you'll see countless other travelers on the sidewalk rolling their suitcases along to Euston station. Will also help your senses adjust to the cacaphony of sounds, sights and smells that are London.

To get pounds while you are there if you walk towards Westminster Abbey look for the Barclays Bank ATM. Easy peasy to withdraw pounds there to use for your stay. And if you fancy a pint or some pub grub try the venerable Feathers pub which is just around the corner from the hotel.

Great city. Been many times. While there I never tire of finding new places to visit and explore. Do try to see theatre while in London.

PM if you would like more intel.

Safe travels.

Posted by
2186 posts

We had an enjoyable stay at Premier Inn County Hall. It was very convenient for accessing the tube and sites we wanted to see. It might be worth considering.

Posted by
6532 posts

We generally stay in the South Kensington area, Gloucester stop, due to it being on the Piccadilly line. Provides ease of getting to/from the airport and also to the main attractions. The District and Circle lines also pass through the Gloucester station.

Posted by
5515 posts

I have stayed at the Indigo Kensington multiple times and it is very nice. It is quiet, has a great modern bathroom with good shower, and fridge in room. I would recommend it, but I have only stayed there using IHG points because it is normally more expensive than I want to spend. If you get a good rate there, it will be a nicer hotel than the PI or the HI Express.

Posted by
1175 posts

We like both Premier Inns and Travelodge bargain hotels. We stayed at the Marleybone Travelodge several times since we liked the area and it's right across the street from the Marleybone tube/rail station. Travelodge.co.uk sometimes has some real bargains and the rooms are comfy and spartan as you might expect, but we never use the room except for sleeping after full days spent experiencing London. Lately we've stayed near Trafalgar Square at Citidines Trafalgar Square and also at the Club Quarters Trafalgar Square. Several bus lines service Trafagar Square and Charing Cross tube station is adjacent to the Square as well. One of our favorite places to get good food at fair prices is at Cafe in the Crypts at St.-Martin-in-the-Fields church, also adjacent to Trafalgar Square. Another is Gordon's Wine Bar, check their website. Go early for lunch since it gets packed with local office workers soon after 1100. Good luck.

Posted by
5261 posts

I've stayed at the Premier (no 'e' on the end) Inn at St Pancras and it was perfectly fine and within easy walking distance to the British Museum plus the Tube from King's Cross. This weekend my family stayed at the Rennaissance St Pancras opposite the Premier Inn and our rooms faced the side of the British Library. Having never been there before I took my two sons for a visit, we had to book tickets (free but timed) but as there were no queues and it was 4 pm on a Friday I simply did it online via my phone there and then. We visited the Treasures room and pretty much had it to ourselves. I'm glad we went as it is an incredibly impressive collection and even two teenage boys sullenly admitted they enjoyed it.

Posted by
2948 posts

London’s Victoria area is where the budget B&Bs are located and is a handy base.

Posted by
3109 posts

https://www.booking.com/hotel/gb/theeurohotel.en-gb.html?aid=339457;label=msn-7WWCxmImpyOxSVqERTm3og-16820745054%3Atikwd-16370921772%3Aloc-32%3Aneo%3Amte%3Adec%3Aqshotel%20euro%20cartwright%20%20gardens.;sid=73a177e153d4e279e7501e47cc7be1bc;dest_id=-2601889;dest_type=city;dist=0;group_adults=2;group_children=0;hapos=1;hpos=1;no_rooms=1;room1=A%2CA;sb_price_type=total;sr_order=popularity;srepoch=1625073578;srpvid=ac2479d42d3100c2;type=total;ucfs=1&#hotelTmpl

I wish these long links were not a thing!!

Anyway, I stayed here, at the Hotel Euro on Cartwright Gardens, 3 years ago.
I picked it for its breakfast reviews!! ;)
(The breakfasts were great!)
It turned out to be a 7-8 minute walk from King's Cross Station, and the same in the other direction to Russell Square Tube Station.
It was super clean, very quiet, nice street, and I think it might have been renovated during the pandemic as it was closed, but now open again.
No elevator, but I asked for and got, a room one floor up from the street due to my bad knees.
I booked a single, but was given a big room with two big beds and I don't know how many pillows and towels....a lot!
I plan to stay there again next time I'm in London.