Please sign in to post.

Accomadations

My family and I are headed to London this Summer. Found a great hotel price in the city. I have been told not to stay in the city. Thoughts??? Been told to stay in Kensington. That area is more expensive and seems further away from what we want to do. Thank you for any help
Has any stayed at Leonardo Royal London St Paul
Hotel?

Posted by
16287 posts

You are referring to the City of London itself, I believe. This is a small ( one square mile) area of London around St. Paul’s, east of the Covent Garden, West End, Bloomsbury, and other areas. Some people advise against staying within the City as it is the business and financial center, and quiet at night. But that is changing, and especially if you are fairly close to the river there are plenty of restaurants and pubs nearby, including across the river on the South Bank. We actually prefer this area, close to St. Paul’s, and will be staying nearby next month.

I know Rick recommends the Kensington area, but we don’t agree at all.

The Leonardo Hotel you mention is a good location, and it looks like a nice place. Is it one of the Leonardo Hotels with a swimming pool?

Posted by
6548 posts

No idea why somebody would say not to stay in the city. Plenty of people do. As you stated, staying in the city has the advantage of being closer to many of the sights most tourists visit. However, the tube makes getting around very easy, so it isn’t necessary to stay in the center city. We stay near the Gloucester tube stop since it’s easy to reach from the airport and has three tube lines running through it. That makes getting to anyplace pretty easy. As with most travel related decisions, it comes down to personal preference. Stay where you feel is best for the family.

Posted by
332 posts

Do you mean The City? Or the city? There is a difference. Kensington is very much in the city but not in The Square Mile aka The City.

Posted by
8675 posts

Who is telling you not to stay in the city? Kensington is an expensive and very nice neighborhood.

The London Underground system will take you all around the city center and to outlying neighborhoods.

Via the London Underground ( the tube ) its a 10 minute ride from Kensington to Westminster.

Westminster is the station you want to visit Parliament Square ( Parliament with Elizabeth’s Tower with the Big Ben bell, Westminster Abbey).

Have not stayed at the Leonardo Royal which is NOT in Kensington. The hotel is a short stroll to St Paul’s cathedral. You’ll have 2 tube stations to use ( St Paul’s and Blackfriars )

Area is safe so if you found a good price book it.

You might also research and book the County Hall Premier Inn or the Premier Inn Waterloo.

Great city. Have fun.