Please sign in to post.

A good answer to the "Best pubs in London" question - new article from the Telegrapg (23 April 2014)

This question is often asked by people on this forum, so I though I would provide a link to this topical article I just read entitled "London's best historical pubs". Of course there is no such thing as "the best pub" but this list does contain some of my FAVOURITE pubs in the center of London. I suggest having a read and then checking them out on Google Streetview as some are gorgeous to look at, like the Cross Keys or the Lamb. Choose a pub that Dickens, Elizabeth I or (gasp) Madonna have frequented.
I must add that for purely excellent Ale & Cider then you can visit "The Harp" (47 Chandos Pl, London WC2N 4HS) just off Trafalgar Square.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/destinations/europe/uk/london/10725161/Londons-best-historical-pubs-the-ultimate-tour.html

Cheers!
Steve.

Posted by
32704 posts

oooh I likes it!!

If only the Telegraph would print in a reasonably sized format I might read it...

Posted by
8645 posts

Nigel it's a good reference article. Well worth liking!! Thanks Steve!! The one we enjoyed meeting at is rightfully on the list. Though I've visited 5 of the ones listed I'll be bringing this article on the next trip. Nothing better than a pub crawl!

Posted by
116 posts

Thanks, Steve! That's just the article I've been looking for in preparation for my visit this Summer. Also appreciate the personal recommendation of The Harp for excellent Ale (for me) and Cider (my companion)-it might just be our first stop. Jenny

Posted by
703 posts

They also didn't mention Princess Louise which is very near our apartment & which we plan to visit in May when we arrive in London. It looks lovely. :)

Posted by
10204 posts

Thanks for the article Steve. I've bookmarked it for my upcoming trip.

Posted by
8645 posts

I've edited my prior post. Had only glanced at the article and responded too soon. Didn't scroll down far enough to see The Blackfriar is included in the list. As it should be. All is well with the world now.

Posted by
4684 posts

If your SO likes cider (alcoholic) then an absolute must is to visit the Cider Tap, which is in one of the lodge buildings outside Euston station (the other one is the Euston Tap for real ale). It has a wide range of unusual ciders which can rarely be found anywhere else outside the South West.

Posted by
63 posts

Jenny for more info on The Harp (renamed from The Welsh Harp - which is annoying as I'm Welsh and people now think the pub has an Irish harp in the window!) here's the webpage:
http://www.harpcoventgarden.com/

There isn't much room to sit down and it will be packed but it will certainly be worth visiting! Check it out on Streetview.

Steve.

Posted by
116 posts

Thank you, Philip, for your Cider Tap recommendation. We are beginning our 3 week UK journey in the Somerset region and will most likely have a favorite or 2 to look for when we end our trip in London. Steve, thanks for the link to The Harp-it looks awesome and well worth searching for. I've now educated myself on the difference in harps so I can sound brilliant when we are in Wales. Any favorites in Caernarfon or Anglesey after a day of kayaking? Pubs, that is! Jenny

Posted by
63 posts

Another topical list of London pubs:
http://www.theguardian.com/travel/2014/apr/24/top-10-craft-beer-pubs-central-london

and if you like to go to the brewery tap itself here's another good article on the 'bermondsey beer mile' (f you are unfamiliar with the term 'brewery tap' it means that you can get beer at the actual brewery itself):
http://www.londonbeerguide.com/bermondsey.php

@Jenny: I'm from Cardiff end of Wales so I don't have a real recommendation for Caernarfon but my helpful CAMRA Good Beer app recommends the Anglesey Arms and the Black Boy Inn.

Cheers
Steve.

Posted by
81 posts

Recently enjoyed a pint at Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese. When in London I always try to go there because it was a special place to my late father. He and my mother went there on their honeymoon. They were married in 1952 in Manchester. Good times, good memories.