Please sign in to post.

Public Transport Delays- A Cautionary Tale

Quite often on this forum people talk about travelling long distances to airports on the day of flight and need to be persuaded otherwise.

This is one story of why not.

On Monday a Civic Party from my town in Cumbria were travelling to London for a formal Royal Horticultural Society awards ceremony, due to start at 1300.

As is normal it was to be a day trip by train- a 1 hour drive to the main line station, 3 hour train trip for the 280 miles to London, due to arrive at 1000. Late evening return and drive home.

On the day their due train at 0700 was cancelled due to a major power failure in the train yard at Glasgow, and the next train at 0800 delayed by over an hour due to the same power failure.
Then the train promptly broke down at Penrith when it arrived, which took well over 2 hours to resolve.

Late morning the Civic Party abandoned their journey as it was clear they couldn't get to London in time, all but one member. He eventually got to London Euston at 1519- 5 hours 10 minutes late (Amtrak levels of delay) and just got to the ceremony for the closing speeches.

Then in the evening, unbelievably, someone stepped out in front of a moving train on purpose with fatal consequences, leading to a line closure. Ultimately, after the line re-opened, the railway paid for very long distance taxis to get people home in the small or not so small hours of the next morning.

OK- this was a perfect storm. In all my years I have never heard of 3 major incidents on the same line on the same day- but any one of these shows what can happen.

There was a happy ending in that yesterday the RHS brought the award here, for an impromptu ceremony. So all of us involved were able to attend, not just the Civic party.

However someone at that function did say that there had been major delays on Wednesday as well due to an incident.

But on other days other things might have happened- weather, lineside fire etc.

Posted by
7312 posts

Economists are warning that the US has almost ceased investing in our post WW II infrastructure, because politicians know they will not get re-elected if they are associated with taxes or with spending. What's interesting is that this is now starting to happen in European Welfare States,

The US is unwilling to admit that public transportation cannot pay for itself. But the perception is that public transportation is for poor people. Since wages started going up in postwar prosperity, transit has been all about cutting staff and delaying maintenance.

Because of our worship of cars, this is seldom questioned. But (in my area) a recent Governor refused to raise one of the lowest gas taxes in the country, for a long time. Just in my neighborhood, most of the bridges over the Passaic and Hackensack Rivers are now restricted to half their designed traffic lanes. That doesn't just affect poor people, but can make your Pre-Olympic swim team late for practice ...

I took the NYC subway 25 minutes to high school every day, in the 1960's. Back then, service was so frequent, I always had a seat. They ran 4-car trains at night, and 10-car trains at rush hour. Now, they don't have the labor to change train lengths, so more train cars get ... unnecessary mileage, reducing their lifespans.

Posted by
2377 posts

This is good information that needs a better title to help it get read. Maybe this:
Public transportation delays--A Cautionary Tale

Posted by
5763 posts

I've taken up Liz's thought- but we use the word 'Transport' in the UK, not 'Transportation' as in the US, so have plumped for that

Posted by
75 posts

Very good observation. I've been traveling around England and North Wales since Sept. 24
(Hired a car the first week) and there have been plenty of delays and cancellations for all kinds of reasons, from staff shortages to mechanical problems.

Posted by
4412 posts

In theory, public transit is always cheap and wonderful and on time.

If only we lived in theory ...

Posted by
877 posts

In theory private car transport is always relaxing, fast and comfortable and you never encounter traffic delays, accidents etc etc.