Please sign in to post.

957th Anniversary of Westminster Abbey's consecration

Westminster Abbey was consecrated on 28 December 1065.

There has been a church on the site since the late 8th century, when a small community of monks formed a monastery there; it's possible the site dates back as far as the early seventh century, to the time of the first Christian king of the Saxons, Saberht. King Edward I (later known as Edward the Confessor) decided to expand the Benedictine monastery around 1040, and ordered construction of a new stone church in honor of Saint Peter. The church became known as "west minster" to distinguish it from Saint Paul's Cathedral, which was the "east minster." By the time the church was consecrated 25 years later, Edward was too ill to attend, and he died a few weeks later. He was buried in front of the high altar.

Most of the original abbey was lost when Henry III decided to remodel it in the new Gothic style during the 13th century.
Beginning with William the Conqueror in 1066, Westminster Abbey has witnessed all but two coronations. It has hosted 16 royal weddings, and houses the remains of 17 (now 18?) monarchs. It is also the final resting place of many notable writers, poets, scientists, and politicians.

https://www.westminster-abbey.org/about-the-abbey/history/history-of-westminster-abbey

They still hold special services at the abbey, despite all the tourist traffic; the only time a pope has visited was Benedict in 2010.

Who's your favorite personage monumented there?

Posted by
11156 posts

I love visiting Westminster Abbey. Thanks for this informative post. Queen Elizabeth II is buried in King’s Chapel at Windsor along with many Royal ancestors.

Posted by
4402 posts

I liked listening to Jeremy Irons on the audio guide and thought that big empty room on the way out was pretty cool (obviously can't remember the name)

Posted by
3753 posts

phred, the voice on the audio guide years ago was that of Peter O'Toole. He also did an amazing job of telling the history of Westminster Abbey.

We visited there again two years ago and enjoyed Jeremy Irons on the audio guide.

To comment on this from the original post:
"Beginning with William the Conqueror in 1066, Westminster Abbey has witnessed all but two coronations. It has hosted 16 royal weddings, and houses the remains of 17 (now 18?) monarchs."

As discussed above, no, Queen Elizabeth II is not buried at Westminster Abbey. So, no, not number 18.

However, you will find there the burial tomb of Queen Elizabeth I.

It is worth seeking out to see the beautiful and realistic stone carved likeness of her, with every feature of her face and every fold in her dress perfectly done.

Posted by
2458 posts

At the link to the official website above, I am pasting this quote:

"In the 1040s King Edward (later St Edward the Confessor) established his royal palace by the banks of the river Thames on land known as Thorney Island. Close by was a small Benedictine monastery founded under the patronage of King Edgar and St Dunstan around 960A.D. This monastery Edward chose to re-endow and greatly enlarge, building a large stone church in honour of St Peter the Apostle. "

How does that jibe with what you were saying about these being different people separated by a couple of centuries?

Posted by
4094 posts

I was blown away to visit Queen Elizabeth 1st's tomb. The Tudor's fascinate me, especially QE1. Rebecca said it best in her post, the likeness of her is something to see.

Posted by
631 posts

As others have pointed out King Edward/St Edward the Confessor and King Edward I are indeed two different monarchs from two different periods of English history.

King Edward/St Edward the Confessor (1042-1066) was the son of king Æthelred II and is succeeded by King Harold and King William. While Edward I/Edward Longshanks (1272-1307) was the son of King Henry III. It is from Edward I/Longshanks that each successive King Edward is counted. The next two being his son Edward II and grandson Edward III. Henry VIII's son Edward Tudor as King Edward VI is counted from Edward I not from St Edward.

King Edward/St Edward will become the Patron Saint of England until 1348 when it is switched to St George as the Patron Saint.

Posted by
631 posts

I'll just add that the OP made the mistake of adding "the first" to Edward in their original post to open this thread. Westminster website of course would not make such a mistake.

==>"How does that jibe with what you were saying about these being different people separated by a couple of centuries?"<==

Simply the Westminster site is clearly referring to king Edward/St Edward, they've made it clear. If they meant king Edward I the website would have actually added "I".

Posted by
3753 posts

VAP, thank you for that clearly stated and very detailed explanation.

Well done.

Posted by
2458 posts

Yes, thank yous to VAP and other commenters above for clarifying the info and pointing out my mistake in making that earlier Edward into an 'I' incorrectly.

I hope when people look back on this post it will be with a tender heart for the history of Westminster Abbey rather than for the mistake, or for the unfortunate timing with the news of the ailing emeritus pope Benedict.

Posted by
631 posts

As a national shrine Westminster is awe-inspiring and beautiful. Rikki-Tikki-Tavi was a favorite story when I was a child so I had to seek out Rudyard Kipling's grave. Of course Charles Dickens. And in high school band we certainly played Handel.

When I travel I do like to make the connections back to home here in Virginia. So of course sought out the burials of Queen Elizabeth I, King James VI & I, and in honor of our local college (and the namesake of my city) King William III and Queen Mary II. Henry Frederick Stuart, Prince of Wales -- Sir Thomas Dale had served as a retainer to Prince Henry, fought in the Low Countries, knighted by King James, and sailed for Virginia in 1611 as the Marshall of Virginia, serving until 1616. Dale oversaw the construction of fortifications in 1611 that were named Henricus, and the name sake of later Henrico County.

Most moving though is the Grave of the Unknown Warrior.

Posted by
3753 posts

VAP, thank you for the connections you've mentioned to Virginia history.
Most informative and interesting.

Posted by
1834 posts

Thank you for those two long, sensible and thoughtful posts, Rebecca. It is so easy to be dismissive of others who aren't so familiar with our history. We are here to help and enlighten and that can be done in a positive manner.

Posted by
695 posts

Like Allan, my "hit over the head" moment at Westminster Abbey was seeing the tomb of Elizabeth I. I kept thinking -- THERE she is, she's really in there, the actual Elizabeth. Amazing connection to history. I also remember thinking, how does she feel about resting right next to her sister?; what a complicated relationship they had. And seeing her cousin, Mary Queen of Scots, nearby. What a lot of twisted history right there in a few feet of space.

Absolutely one of my most significant travel memories.