Please sign in to post.

4 night break to fill early May 2024

My husband and I have 5 days/4 nights to fill following a week touring Ireland, before arrival in Wiltshire for an inn to inn journey ending in Bath. Having never been to the UK we have considered many options; deciding to save London, York and Edinburgh for a different trip. Our interests include landscape, gardens, architecture, learning about the locals, English football and light hiking. We will not be driving. If we ferry to Holyhead would we be able to enjoy North Wales using public transport? Where might we find a friendly home base? If we could manage to get football tickets, we’d consider Liverpool or elsewhere for a night or 2. Love to hear ideas/advice from others. Thank you.

Posted by
27176 posts

In 2017 I spent a few nights in Chester (picturesque but touristy) and hopped over to North Wales twice. I was able to visit Conwy, walk around the beach town of Llandudno, see Bodnant Gardens (highly recommended) and take a scenic rail trip (highlighted in Rick's book; I don't remember the name of the line). I did it all by public transportation, but I recall having to wait some time for a bus to manage the gardens, and I enjoy walking a lot. You could certainly choose a base in North Wales if you want to, which would reduce the time spent going back and forth on the train. However, there was a good-value regional train pass available that worked from Cheshire the year I took the trip.

Liverpool is a very interesting city. There's a lot there besides football and the Beatles sights. I especially liked the very modern International Slavery Museum and the Western Approaches HQ, an historic WWII planning site somewhat similar to London's Churchill War Rooms. There's also a branch of the Tate Gallery and the Walker Art Gallery if you enjoy art.

Posted by
890 posts

If you want to catch a football match in Liverpool in early May you have two options. Liverpool play Tottenham Hotspur on the first weekend and Everton play Sheffield United on the second weekend. Both games are currently listed as kicking off at 3pm on the Saturday but either or both could well be moved to any time between Friday evening and Monday evening for live TV coverage. We will not know when for several weeks yet.

To get into the Liverpool game you will almost certainly have to book a hospitality package which would cost serious money. In the case of Liverpool it may already be too late for that as that game will be the penultimate game for their manager Juergen Klopp.

An alternative if you just want to see a game would be the last round of games in the Championship (the league below the Premier League), on the first weekend of May, but there are no games in North West England - you would need to travel elsewhere. Stoke would be the nearest place to North Wales.

Posted by
2425 posts

I shall refer to this map of the rail system. (Scroll for the south).

So, you are ending in Bath your Wiltshire wanderings and will need to get to Holyhead for the ferry to Dublin. I suggest you go by train from Bath to Newport where you change for another train gong north via Shrewsbury to Chester. Check into a hotel for maybe 2 nights and have a look around Chester. The following day - go by train the short distance to Liverpool - return to Chester hotel for night 2..

Then, the following day, take a train from Chester to Conwy - which is not marked on the map but is 1 mile west of Llandudno Junction. Stay 2 nights and try and see something of north Wales. (If you want to see more of north Wales - you would need to delete Chester or add more days for Wales). Llandudno Junction/ Conwy are on the mainline to Holyhead - so you are well placed for the ferry from Holyhead.
https://www.visitwales.com/destinations/north-wales/10-brilliant-places-visit-conwy

Posted by
17 posts

Thank you all for the helpful suggestions. We are likely to make Conwy our home base. Seems there will be plenty of options for exploring. As for football; perhaps we can experience watching with fans in a pub!