Please sign in to post.

4 days in London!

College daughter studying in London for the semester -- 17 year old and I are going to visit her! But it's only 4 days!! (Necessity with a college senior - I know it's not enough.)

What we're thinking: Bus tour, Tower of London, National Gallery, British Museum, 2 markets (Borough and ..?), Globe, and we plan to see a show together.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

Posted by
2943 posts

The hop on hop off bus tour is one full day if you take the entire tour and that doesn’t include hopping off. You’ll spend a good portion of the day sitting in traffic. The bus does not stop at the British Museum which is probably the world’s greatest museum.
I wouldn’t go to the National Gallery unless you have one full day to spend there because it’s huge and takes a half day to hurry through. There’s also Westminster Abbey (rent the audio guide unless you’re fluent in British history), Churchill War Rooms (buy tickets before leaving home) and the Victoria and Albert Museum.
You should also download Rick Steves app and take his Historic London: “The City” and Westminster self-guided walking tours; this way you won’t miss seeing anything.

Posted by
585 posts

Think you have outlined enough for four days…but think about Westminster Abbey - it’s going to be in the news over the next few months as the coronation nears and is full of history. Try not to do the National Gallery and the British Museum in the same day as both are overwhelming. Maybe consider the Museum of London which just concentrates on London instead of the world? Rather than a bus tour think about a boat trip on the Thames, maybe from the Tower to Westminster Abbey? A trip outside London to Hampton Court or Windsor? There seems to be a general consensus on the Forum that bus tours are a waste of time due to the traffic congestion in London. Cannot make suggestions for markets as never done one in London. A lot tend to be on weekends. Personally with the time you have I’d spend the time doing something else.

Posted by
340 posts

I would add Westminster Abbey. I don't think I'd bother with a bus tour (but that's just me). I would suggest Hyde Park and maybe a walk by of Buckingham Palace. Definitely the British Museum. We took a boat ride to Greenwich, which was great fun.

Posted by
875 posts

How fun! The big sights? For me, Westminster Abbey, British Museum, and St. Paul’s. It’s kind of a cool hike from St. Paul’s across the Millennium Bridge through Bankside to Borough Market (you’ll work up an appetite.) If you can visit National Gallery during evening hours it’s a huge plus.

I highly recommend AlternativeUK Street Art walking tour in the East End. The tour guides are terrific. Even if you think this isn’t quite you’re thing, it’s fascinating and rewarding. It’s a great look at a side of London a lot of people don’t make time to see. It picks up at Spitalfields market which is pretty cool too. And when the tour is over, a curry on Brick Lane is a quintessential London experience.

Posted by
8649 posts

Day 1: Parliament Square: Parliament, Westminster Abbey ( do the Vergers Tour or London Walks www.walks.com tour. Both good and informative.)
If no interest you can miss The Churchill War Rooms. If interested pre book tickets. Next to the War Rooms is the Horse Guard Parade. Check their website
https://householdcavalry.co.uk/museum/ if you desire to watch their changing of the guide or their ride up the Mall to Buckingham Palace.

From the War Rooms / Horse Guards its a pleasant stroll up Birdcage Walk in St James Park to Buckingham Palace. From the Palace walk through Green Park to Piccadilly. On Piccadilly you’ll find Fortum and Mason. Fun department store to meander about. From there head towards Leicester Square and there into Covent Garden. Lots of shopping and lunch spots. Dishoom is good. Now after lunch you can walk to the British Museum.
You could also try to have lunch in crypt of St Martins of the Field by the National Gallery.

Long day. Take your time. Use the tube.

Day 2: Tower of London. Go at opening. Head straight to the Crown Jewels. After seeing them see the rest of the Tower. Fascinating building especially when you look at the nearby Gherkin ( St Marys Axe). The old and new architecture of London. Near the
Gherkin is the Sky Garden ( free POV of London). You are also close to Leadenhall Market the last glass covered market in London. Not far away is Spitafields Market. Worth your time.

Definitely see theatre. The cast of Hamilton is terrific.

Day 3: Greenwich Observatory OR Hampton Court Palace. Both interesting.

Day 4: If its a Saturday: Maltby Market.
I’d do Brick Lane and see the Shoreditch Wall Murals.

Lastly, if adventurous you can ride horseback in Hyde Pack, use paddle boats in Regents park, stroll along the Thames path, wander along the canal path in Maide Vale up to Camden Lock and visit the vibrant Camden Market.

London is always changing yet always the same.

Great city to explore and appreciate. Have a great 4 days with your daughter.

Posted by
157 posts

If you want to do something a little unusual, take a tour of Highgate Cemetery.

Posted by
991 posts

The London Eye. My daughter always takes her friends there when visiting London. You can book ahead online a week or two before you arrive. No need to buy additional fast access. The line moves pretty quickly. From the eye, you can hop on the Uber boat and go down the Thames to the Tower and Tower Bridge. Use the tubes on your return. you can't really walk the north bank from the Tower to Westminster it is a little too far and there is no straight pathway like there is on the South Bank.
Buckingham Palace, Westminster Abbey, Parliament, Big Ben, and Horse Guards Parade are all close together and easy to walk to. Just go through St. James Park to get to the Palace.
Other places I like to visit are Chinatown for an evening meal and Covent Garden shops/eating before a show.
4 days will give you a good amount of time to enjoy London.
Margaret

Posted by
2943 posts

The London Eye

Don't understand the hype here since the best views are at eye level and not when you're looking down or miles across the skyline unless you are a fan of views from the nosebleed section. I was disappointed and it's pricey.

Posted by
340 posts

I guess everyone is different. My teenage daughters loved the Eye. The view was great and it was just a fun ride.

Posted by
8346 posts

If you want to have a great view of London traffic jams, take the hop on, hop off bus. Otherwise use public transport/ walk. You will be wasting precious time with hop on hop off.

You did not mention where you are staying. A key to having an amazing 4 days is to group your days geographically. For example, Westminster Abbey, London Eye, and Churchill war rooms are all within a 10 minute walk of each other.

Posted by
2394 posts

A youtuber I follow ( EECC Travels ) revently posted some London videos. One thing they wish they had done first rather than last was the boat ride on the Thames

Posted by
4300 posts

As much as I enjoyed the National Gallery, I think Westminster Abbey it's more important to see Westminster Abbey.

Posted by
11136 posts

My recommendations are Westminster Abbey and the Churchill War Rooms. We visit the Westminster Abbey every time we go to London.