Please sign in to post.

3 days in the Cotswolds by car, arriving from London via train, September, 2023

We are interested in a 2-3 day itinerary for the Cotswolds. We are not sure we need three days. We will be taking the train in from London via the Paddington station. We can either return to London, Paddington station or London, Gatwich Airport, depending if we need a 2 or 3 day itinerary. Then we will pick up a car. We are not interested in going to Stratford-Upon-Avon, Oxford or Bath, or Blenheim Palace as we have been fortunate enough to have spent a number of times in each of these destinations. After deciding if we have a 2 or 3 day itinerary, should we take the train to Morton-In-Marsh or Kingham to pick up the car? To really enjoy the area, how much should we cover in one day? Any suggestions for some wonderful B&B reservations How about some authentic pubs to try? Thank you in advance for all your suggestions

Posted by
7667 posts

We pretty much did the Cotswolds in two days staying in Chipping Campden. Stayed at the Volunteer Inn, which I recommend. We had a car. We also did Oxford, Blenheim Palace and Stratford Upon Avon and stayed a total of 6 nights.

Not sure you can pick up a car at Morton-in-Marsh, but suggest checking there and Oxford.

We visited just about every village and city in the Cotswolds.

Do not miss Cirencester in the south and Broadway in the North.

Posted by
32752 posts

I don't think you will find a hire car in either Moreton-in-Marsh (I'm sure unless somebody has just opened, the last place closed years ago) or Kingham (it is a tiny place - one church, 3 pubs, and a village shop). I;d suggest getting the car in Oxford (no need to visit since you have ruled it out) and an easy run down either the A40 or A44.

Oxford has several car hire companies, all very close to or at the station.