Please sign in to post.

3 days in London

Hello,
We will be in London for three full days the end of September. We are staying at St. Ermins on Caxton St. The only thing we have arranged so far is a Buckingham Palace and Changing of the Guard tour. We are in our 60's and love to walk and/or take public transportation. We plan to visit some of the typical tourist areas such as the London Tower and Westminster Abbey.

Any other suggestions of favorite places? We wanted to spend a day in a more local area as well. We aren't big nightlife people. We do enjoy local food and pubs.

Thank you for suggestions.
Jane

Posted by
17225 posts

You have booked one of our favorite London hotels, so you are off to a good start.

London is a great walking city, especially using the pedestrian Thames path along the river. You can access it from St. Ermin’s by crossing the Westminster Bridge (use the right side sidewalk as you face the river to avoid the shell-game scammers and associated crowds). You get great views of the Parliament buildings and Elizabeth Tower from the other side of the bridge. Head downriver on the path as far as you like——we have walked the whole thing, all the way to Greenwich, and it’s all good.

For the Tower of London, you could walk one way, using the beautiful Tower Bridge to cross from the Southbank side to the Tower. Then return by Thames Clipper (now called Uber Boats. They are part of the London transport system and you can pay with an Oyster Card or contactless credit card. There is a pier by the Tower and one at Westminster.

https://www.thamesclippers.com/plan-your-journey/route-map

Take a ride at night to see the illuminated River art installation—-special lighting on all the bridges.

https://illuminatedriver.london/

Posted by
197 posts

Two of our favorite places are the Victoria & Albert Museum and the Treasures in the Sir John Ritblat Collection at the British Library. The V & A is huge so I decide what I want to see for about 3 hours; the Treasures are amazing but can be seen in 1.5 hours and they have great lunch offerings there.

Posted by
2982 posts

My favorite palace was Hampton Court. Seeing the musical SIX the night before made it even more interesting. It’s well signed and audio guide so you don’t need a tour.

Posted by
1014 posts

I always enjoy combining St. Paul’s with a walk across Millennium Bridge to Bankside and Borough Market for lunch. Aside from all the major sights, I thought the Wallace Collection was pretty unique and amazing.

Old Bank Pub on Strand is really nice if you’re in the area. Probably the best pub food I had.

Posted by
284 posts

One of the highlights of our stay in London in June, 2023, was a tour of Royal Albert Hall.

Posted by
286 posts

We were in England for July, staying in Central London at the tail end. It is an eminently walkable city.

I was up and out by 9 am and managed to get in a couple of two to three hour walks in before my daughter roused herself. One day, I went to The Bank of England to change sone old notes and the walk from Bloomsbury covered Greys Inn, the courts, the Royal Exchange, St Mary le Bow and a few other churches, The Royal Exchange, Daunt Books, St Paul's Cathedral walk by, a sojourn in the grounds of Greys Inn to read my book.

The second day: Bloomsbury to Trafalgar Square, Pall Mall, a walk by Buckingham Palace, Green Park, walk by The Ritz, a stop at Floris, stop for tea at Waterstone's, walk through Soho and back to Bloomsbury. That day we bussed to Hampstead for lunch and a walk on the Heath to Kenwood House, whose cafe unexpectedly closed early at 4:00 pm. I did 30,000 steps according to my watch.

I second the suggestion of Bletchley Park. If you are a real computer/math geek, the National Computing Museum is next to it. We went to both last year on a short break to Milton Keynes for another of our geeky interests: Take That. Another story.