Please sign in to post.

2022 Platinum Jubilee

I have always wanted to go to England. This could be a once in a lifetime event for me. I decided to wait until 2022. I recently saw the announcement about the Queen's Jubilee in June of 22. Want is your advice about traveling during a big event...I would love the royal hub-bub..but will it be too difficult to get around?

Posted by
982 posts

I am old enough to remember the street parties in 1977 for the Queens Silver Jubilee (I grew up in England). I was in London for the 2012 Diamond Jubilee. Except for the atrocious weather that weekend in June of 2012, it was a great experience. (We were soaked, cold, and had to dry socks on radiators).
It's all the pageantry that you could imagine. The weather cleared some by the end of that weekend, and we were able to go to Regents park for the Big Screen concert and then the following day watched the procession through London, seeing William and Kate. I will say that London always does well with these kinds of events. It's busy, yes, but not so crazy you would never want to go again. It's manageable crowds and everyone always seems to be in good spirits that people are generally well behaved. I plan on going myself in 2022.

Posted by
32515 posts

Just remember that in 2022, Her Majesty will be 96.

Posted by
2020 posts

I wasn’t aware of this celebration; thanks for asking. I’ve stopped even thinking about any travel, anywhere until whenever, but this does get me wondering We have been to London and the UK several times and have always had a wonderful trip and have been treated so well by everyone we’ve ever met. Today is the Queen’s 73rd wedding anniversary. Here’s hoping many more anniversaries -and trips- in healthier times. Be well and stay safe everyone.

Posted by
11294 posts

Whether it's a parade, marathon, fashion week, Jubilee, visit of a head of state, etc., here are some general principles for getting around during big events:

1) If you can travel underground, do so. It is much less likely to be disrupted.
2) However, be prepared for some stations to be closed (if they're near festivities, for instance).
3) If you have to travel above ground, expect street closures, detours, buses to be canceled or massively re-routed, and great delays.
4) You may have to walk a very roundabout way to get somewhere. For instance, to cross a street having a parade, you may have to go 5 blocks north to the designated crossing, then 5 blocks back to your desired street.
5) If you absolutely have to be somewhere at a specific time (say, to catch a train or plane), allow LOTS of extra time.
6) If you have no interest in the particular event, plan in advance to stay far away from it. For instance in London, you could go to Kew Gardens or Hampton Court - well away from the centre where Jubilee events will be happening.
7) If where you're going is not near festivities, you may be totally unaware that they're happening. I have completely "missed" the New York Marathon when I've been doing things in other parts of the city that day.

So, as long as you can travel underground, you should be fine. If you can't or don't want to (say, if mobility impairment prevents you from using the Tube, or if you're like my sister-in-law and detest public transportation), you will have to to extensive research about how you will get from point A to point B on the days of major events like parades.

Posted by
11027 posts

On the assumption the Queen has the good fortune to be here then, I suspect that the event itself and the pent up demand for travel will assure that you will not be alone. Hotel prices are likely to reflect that fact.

Harold provides a good summary of the transport/movement challenges.

I suspect watching on TV will provide a better view than being among a throng of thousands. If being there is meaningful to you, just be aware a million other people may feel the same way.

I will not be part of the throngs of people

Happy planning

Posted by
11294 posts

joe32f makes a good point.

If you want the shared experience of being in the crowds during the Jubilee, then you can certainly go out on the street during it. But if you want the best views of "the action," that's going to be on TV. The best viewpoints for such things are reserved for the TV cameras, and for VIPs. As for being in the crowds, different people have different views on this. You couldn't pay me to go to Times Square for New Years Eve, but some people do it year after year. At least at the Jubilee, the mood should be festive, the temperature won't be 20 degrees Fahrenheit, and you shouldn't be stuck in a holding pen (yes, they really do that, post 9-11, for Times Square).

Speaking of which, I forgot one important principle of big events. Once you're there, don't count on being able to leave quickly - even in the middle, but particularly after it ends. The large crowds and Tube station closures and road closures mean that crowd dispersal takes some time. Particularly if you will need a bathroom, plan ahead - don't count on being able to get to one in a hurry!

Posted by
169 posts

Just a suggestion - and not certain would happen in '22 -
In "77 we happened to arrive (unknowingly) about a week before the actual celebration. The day we went to see the changing of the guard there was actually a practice run of the entire parade - guards, coaches etc but without royalty. The crowds were huge - but no where near as large as probably on the actual day. It was fun and something to say we had experienced.

So you might look for a schedule posted of events prior to & on the date.