Please sign in to post.

2 days in London June 2017

My wife and I are going to be taking our first trip to Europe in June. One of the stops will be London the morning of the 12th with a return flight to Frankfurt early on the morning of the 14th. We are thinking that the following are doable for the short period of time.

British Museum
Tower of London
Big Ben/ Parliament
Churchill War Room
Imperial War Museum
Walk some of the neighborhoods to get a feel for the city.

Thoughts on this or am I just trying to cram too much into such a short visit?

Posted by
533 posts

That depends. You could spend a whole day or longer in just the British Museum, or you could have a quick look at the exhibits that interest you most and be done in an hour or two. Which of those sounds more like your travel style?

Posted by
6487 posts

That's a tall order, even if your first day isn't jet-lagged after an overnight flight. Your targets are at opposite ends of the city and on both sides of the Thames, so you'll spend time getting to and from them. Big Ben/Parliament is a walk-past sight that won't take long, you could visit there the first day. I'm a big fan of the nearby Churchill War Rooms, and there's lots to see in that area -- Whitehall, Trafalgar Square, Buckingham Palace, etc.

The Tower is a unique sight best appreciated in the morning when less crowded, maybe your second morning as soon as it opens. Take the Yeoman Warder tour and skip the crown jewels. Then maybe the British Museum for as long as you want that day. I'd say skip the Imperial War Museum on this trip unless it's really important to you.

Don't try to get to all these places on foot, they're too far apart. But you'll have time for some walking near them -- the City near the Tower, Bloomsbury near the British Museum, Whitehall and Mayfair near Churchill. And whatever neightborhood your hotel is in, of course. Hope that helps.

Posted by
5 posts

I think a quick look at the British Museum would be the way to go. I was kind of looking forward to the war museum but am getting a trip to Omaha beach the week prior so I could probably skip it. Thank you both for the feedback, I'm about to go crazy trying to plan it out. I guess I just need to go with the flow and catch the highlights on this trip!

Posted by
3122 posts

You may wish to take one of the Hop-on-Hop-off bus tours (Original tours or Big Bus) if you're more interested in seeing the highlights and getting the London lay of the land than in making your way to specific sights. You could do that on your first day, then arrive at the Tower of London when it opens the next morning as the previous post suggested.

Also, read the section in the RS guide about transit passes to decide whether you'd be better off buying a pass (such as an Oyster card) or individual tickets.

Posted by
8645 posts

Use Google Maps satellite view. Type in Big Ben London.

You will see how close Parliament, Westminster Abbey, Churchill War Rooms, Horse Guards, Buckingham Palace and Trafalgar Square are. Definitely walkable if you are used to walking and just as easy to visit using the London Underground.

With your short period of time I'd choose between museums, each could take hours depending on your interest.

The Tower of London also deserves at least 2 hours and in June to do that you'd need to be there at least a half hour before it opens to get your tickets and get inside before the hordes of other tourists. Go to the Crown Jewels first.