Please sign in to post.

2 days in London Itinerary

Hello! My 16 year old son and I are going to be in London for 2 nights 10/18-10/20 . After London we are heading to Paris via the Eurostar. This is our 1st trip to Europe. Our flight from JFK lands at Heathrow at 7:30 am and we are staying at The Shangri-La at The Shard. We have arranged for a car to pick us up and take us to the Hotel. I know we are going to be jet lagged but we want to hit the ground running. We only have 2 days in London. I have already purchased the London pass and Oyster card. The pass includes the hop on hop off bus, but not sure which day to use this.

I need some help with our Itinerary.
Day one- land at 7:30 go to hotel, drop bags, take tube to Buckingham place and try to see Changing of the guards. Around that area we could see ChurchHill war room, Big Ben, and Westminster.
We have dinner reservations at 6:00 at Fishers, after that we will return to hotel and crash!

Day 2-
Tower of London-fast track with London Pass
Tower Bridge
British Muesum
Our hotel concierge is making dinner reservations for us at a Indian restaurant (can't remember which one)

We would also like to see Borough Market, Abby Road, Harrods, Covent Garden but not sure where to put that in the itinerary. My son really wanted to go to Bath and Stonehenge, but it is a full day trip. I think he'd enjoy a rock-n-roll night tour or ghost tour on our last night there. Do you have any recommendations?
Thanks in advance for your help!

Posted by
2030 posts

So much to see in London, but I suggest just doing a few good things -- after all you have Paris later!
I agree that you should skip changing of the guard, particularly trying to deal with it same day you arrive. It's OK, but not that spectacular. You should walk by and see Buckingham Palace though. I suggest a walk from Trafalgar Square down Whitehall to Westminster (houses of Parliament and Big Ben) and Westminster Abbey (recommend going in), and short walk to the Palace.
You can also cross Westminster Bridge and see or go on the London Eye.

Tower of London is good, you will see Tower Bridge from there, not sure you need to actually go on the bridge, though it may be a way to get to Tower of London from the Shard? Also recommend walking through Covent Garden.
Agreed, the British Museum is huge, but if you plan ahead you may be able to do it. Otherwise a London Walks later in the day would be great. I've done the pub walk which I think you and your son would enjoy,and there are many others.
I don't think Harrod's is worth your time in 2 days, and don't know about Abbey Road, but I'd guess it isn't either.
Stonehenge and Bath are all day excursions. Either do only this on 2nd day or save for next time!

Posted by
7175 posts

On your arrival day, when you step out from the Shangri-La, take the tube from London Bridge to Green Park. Walk thru Green Park to view Buckingham Palace. Walk thru St James's Park to visit Westminster Abbey. Walk on to Westminster Bridge to view the Houses of Parliament from the Thames. Visit Churchill War Rooms (??). Walk up Whitehall past Number 10 to Trafagar Square, then on to Piccadilly Circus. Your timing may coincide with the Four O'Clock Parade at Horseguards. I'm not sure committing to a dinner reservation on this day is s good idea.

Posted by
4517 posts

Since you have so little time, you could just stay on the eastern side of town and in a more relaxed way look at things in close proximity: the Tower, St Paul's, Millennium Bridge, Tate Modern, Borough Market, boat trip on the Thames, etc. Maybe leave this area to do one extra thing, like Buckingham Palace or the British Museum.

Definitely skip Harrods, Abbey Rd, anything that far away. Since you are paying so much for the room, might as well spend some time in it to enjoy it.

Also, just take taxis, skip the tube. If your son is interested in Bath, he might go for a Shakespeare performance at the Globe which is also close. Agree that dinner reservations don't make sense, just add stress and are limiting your movement.

Posted by
3 posts

Wow, thank you all so much for all the suggestions! Awesome information.

We are going to take Harrods, Changing of the guard, and Abby road off the list. I like Emma's suggestion of focusing things that interest us instead of trying to do everything. We defiantly want to tour (go inside)The Tower of London, Westminster Abbey, British Museum (will plan ahead) and Churchill war room. We both love History. It looks like everything else can be seen by hoho bus or walking.

I am going to keep our 1st night dinner reservation at Fishers Fish and Chips. It came highly recommended and I think having a dinner reservation will keep us awake. I am going to cancel the 2nd night dinner reservation, as it will free up the itinerary. London walks has a 7pm rock n roll London tour, so I think we will do that. We are huge music lovers.

Once I come up with a new plan, I will post!
Thanks again for all the tips!

Posted by
8660 posts

You have received excellent advice already.

Time is wasted on Changing of the Guards and with only 2 days you need to use your time wisely.

Day 1: To work off the jet lag do the following:

After arriving and checking in take the Jubilee Line (grey) to the Westminster Station. Mind the Gap and follow signage to exit 1. Walk outside and the Thames will be in front of you. Across the river to the left will be the London Eye. To your right Westminster Bridge. Turn to your right and look up.

Smile, climb the steps and begin your London adventure in Parliament Square where you will be able to see Big Ben, the Houses of Parliament and Westminster Abbey. From Parliament Square follow Birdcage Walk (you'll pass the Churchill War rooms which you will come back to on this route) through St James Park up to Buckingham Palace. You may or may not be in time for changing of the Guard. If you are great but I doubt you'll see much, if not take pictures of the The Palace then cross the Mall into Green Park. (If you take the time to use Google Maps Satellite Imagery you can see this entire walk)

When you are through Green Park follow Piccadilly to your right and head toward Forum and Mason.
Visit the food halls here. Will make up for missing Harrod's. Maybe have lunch here. Keep walking down Piccadilly to Piccadilly Square which looks much more impressive at night. However, if you and your son are sports fan pop into Lillywhites to shop. Then keep walking towards Leicester Square.

At any point if tired hop on the tube but on this trek you'll get to see a lot of London. From Leicester Square you can continue on into Covenant Garden or turn right on Charing Cross Road and follow towards St Martins of the Fields and the National Gallery in Trafalgar Square. (Again look at Google Maps birds eye view to get a sense of what I'm detailing here).

Personally I would skip Covenant Garden and head toward Trafalgar Square, pay homage to Lord Nelson, snap images of the Lions, then continue down Whitehall back towards Big Ben, passing #10 downing street which you can't see much of any more, the Horse Guards and back into Parliament Square.

If you are still up for now would be the time to see the Churchill War Rooms,(check closing time on their website) then have your dinner and call it a night.

Like other have suggested cancel the 6pm dinner reservation. Curtails your exploration and there are more than enough places to have a nice dinner in London.

Day 2

Next morning be at the Tower of London before it opens (yes you have to London Pass but trust me getting there early helps avoid the masses.) Head straight for the Crown Jewels then enjoy the Tower. I love the difference in the size of King Charles and Henry the VIII armor. Then take your pictures of Tower Bridge but from there walk up to Leadenhall Market Place for lunch. It's an old glass covered market nearly hidden by the adjacent futuristic looking Lloyd's of London building.

From there I would suggest visiting Spitalfield's Market and then over to Brick Lane. Or the Museum of London. I find the Museum of London very interesting for first time visitors as it does a stellar job of describing the history of the city you are visiting. It's free.

Spitafield's and Brick Lane are always intriguing. Even more so than Borough Market IMHO. Simply head up Bishopgate Road to Spitafields.

After this excursion you'll have free time and with the Oyster card can get to all sorts of places you might enjoy.

Treasure room at the British Library, even the British Museum which is massive and as already suggested have a clue of what you'd like to see.

Or you could head to Greenwich or back to Leicester Square to buy Half Price theatre tickets for a performance that night.

British theatre is wonderful. Perfect way to end you 24 hours visit before you head to Paris.

Have fun.

Posted by
1226 posts

I kind of like the idea of consolidating things to do starting near the Shard on your day of arrival. For instance, on Monday, your arrival, right, the Tower opens at 10. Maybe do that and walk west past St. Paul's along through Trafalgar and/or Westminster. Cross the river any time you are tired by the closest bridge and swing back through Borough Market and environs. Or, you could start on the South Bank and do the loop via Westminster in the opposite direction. What is good about this is that you could pop back to the hotel fairly easily if tired. Myself, I like to minimize the agony of over-frequent transportation exchanges.

Just a thought. Sounds like fun anyway you do it.

Posted by
16240 posts

I love the area of your hotel---we spent three weeks in an apartment near there. Borough Market is right there, so it is very easy to do a walk-through to see if it intrigues you. And you can walk along the Thames to Tower Bridge and cross the river on that for your visit to the Tower of London. You will pass on the way the HMS Belfast, a WWII Battleship you can tour---highly recommended. You can get a combined ticket with the Churchill War Rooms, or maybe that is on your London Pass?

We often stop for lunch at the Shake Shack in Covent Garden,me specially after time at the British Museum. Below the seating area there is a buskers' area where there are usually people singing popular opera arias.

Posted by
4517 posts

Got to agree with emma that Fulham is way too far to go for dinner. Since it is nearer Heathrow perhaps first go to Victoria Station, store bags, visit Buckingham Palace, Churchill war room, Big Ben, and Westminster, eat an early dinner in Fulham and then go to your hotel? If you want to do these things the first day maybe it makes sense to grab a hotel In Mayfair instead and drop the Shangri-La?

Really think that you need to focus on things near the Shangri-La and skip Fishers and other west side attractions, or change hotel. You will regret spending so much time shuttling around.