Please sign in to post.

17 days UK Aug/Sept 2024

Hi. We want slow travel and public transportation or tours, not up to driving anymore. We're looking for that ever sought out base recommendation that I know can be frustrating for people to recommend. We like the architecture of the older cities, historical locations and museums/cathedrals. I find Chester very appealing and am considering the first 10 days there in a rental apartment. It isn't a matter of spending every minute of every day traveling, we might take an overnight bag and visit other towns by train for a day or two, ie York and/or Wales? We may take a day trip to the Cotswolds or overnight there if too far for a day trip. I'm hoping for suggestions regarding another base in Southern or Eastern UK for the next 5 days. Have visited London a couple of times so not necessarily planning to spend time there on this trip. We're flying out of CDG so will spend the remaining couple of days there (been there, done that, lol). Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Posted by
1450 posts

If you haven't been to Wales; you could easily spend 5 days or more there visiting real Castles and Coastal Hikes and Excursion Trains up in the Mountains. You can take a train from Chester to Conwy. You can take another train Bangor and then bus to Caernarfon. Others can tell you about day tours and/or public transportation.

i

Posted by
27120 posts

There are nearly endless possibilities in England. Maybe Cambridge? There are day-trip options to places like Ely, Bury St. Edmunds and Norwich. Unfortunately, Lavenham and Bletchley Park looks time-consuming without a car.

I spent some extra time in Brighton a few years ago so I could check out Lewes and Arundel. There must be a lot of other interesting destinatinons down that way.

Posted by
876 posts

Bletchley Park is a short walk from Bletchley station, so is probably actually easier to access by train rather than car, especially from London.

The Cotswolds are too far for a day trip from Chester. But given there are several rural areas more impressive than the Cotswolds nearer to Chester why would you. The Peak District, Lake District and Eryri (Snowdonia) National Parks could all be done in a. day at a push. Liverpool and Manchester are both easily accessible from Chester and well worth at least a day each.

Posted by
15011 posts

Wales is an excellent idea. Especially northern Wales that is easily reachable from Chester.

There are no trains to Caernarfon. You can get a train to Bangor then switch to a local bus for about a 30 minute ride to Caernarfon.

There is a sightseeing train from Caernarfon that goes south but does not connect to Chester.

As also stated previously, Manchester and Liverpool area easy to visit.

If you want bases, then I would suggest places that have good train connections like York in the east, Bristol in the west, and how far south do you want to go? Salisbury? Winchester? Devon and Cornwall?

For the Cotswolds, I would suggest taking a one day tour out of Bath. I've taken a few tours with Mad Max and rate them highly. A search in this forum will find that others do as well.

Posted by
12 posts

Kathleen, acraven, Johnnew52, FrankII...Thanks so much for your replies. I am very appreciative of your time and recommendations. It appears Cotswolds will be removed from the list. Especially thanks for the Wales details and also that of Bletchley Park as that is someplace I fit into the schedule. We definitely plan to visit Manchester and Liverpool. I will do more research but like the Bristol suggestion, Frank (love Freedonia!). A brief search on the area shows it has a lot of potential and there are direct flights to Paris from Bristol as well which is very appealing.

Again, thanks for your time. I am reassured that Chester is a good base and think Bristol might be as well. Best wishes and have a good day!

Posted by
876 posts

I would agree that Bristol would be a great choice as a second base. Personally I think it's a more interesting place to visit than Bath but the latter its a very easy day trip anyway.

Where are you flying into? Manchester would be obvious as it has a direct train service to Chester from the airport. But I guess you might have booked a flight into London? Bletchley Park is as I have said very easy to access by train from London and it is on the line to Chester, although you would have issues with your bags if you were to do it en route. It's still doable from Chester but it would mean taking the train almost down into London and back.

Posted by
1006 posts

If you decide to stay in Bristol I think you’d really enjoy picking either the Clifton Village area or the Harbourside area to stay in. Both offer lots within walking distance. Harbourside is more central while Clifton has Georgian charm.

Posted by
5755 posts

Bletchley Park may be on the line to Chester but there are no trains between the two. You would have to switch trains at Crewe and Milton Keynes or Birmingham and Milton Keynes, or may be just Milton Keynes if you were lucky.

If you were lucky the last local train to Bletchley has just last week got brand new Class 730 electric trains.

Posted by
5755 posts

The Welsh Highland narrow gauge steam ine from Caernarfon connects to the main line railway at Porthmadog - separate stations a short distance apart. Porthmadog has direct trains to Birmingham or to Chester by changing at Shrewsbury. Through trains on the Welsh Highland are currently few in number and very by the day of the week. Most run only as far as Beddgelert

Posted by
27120 posts

When I visited Chester and North Wales in 2017, a short-term (maybe just single-day) regional rail pass saved me some money. I don't remember what it was called.

Posted by
5755 posts

There's a 4 days in 8 Explore North and Mid Wales rail pass and a One Day North Wales Rover which includes buses.

Posted by
352 posts

I took the train from London to Chester and then got a rental car and drove around Wales. Snowdonia is breathtakingly beautiful! I definitely recommend it. All of Wales is beautiful (at least, all of it that I saw which was the northern half). Chester was difficult for me to drive in, being used to being on the other side of the road, but some people don't have a problem. Wales itself was not difficult.

Posted by
233 posts

The Welsh Highland Railway to all intents and purposes is a tourist/heritage railway, not really one meant for public transport, though if one really wanted to you could use it as such when the time table permits. However, one way it takes over 2 hours to travel the 20 miles or so and costs £26 for a single over its full length. When the summer timetable is in operation from mid March to the end of October there is one through service a day Caernarfon - Porthmadaog in each direction. The National Rail station in Porthmadog is 3/4 of mile from the Harbour station which the WHR uses, so not exactly next to each other.

The WHR connects to the Ffestiniog Railway at the Harbour station in Porthmadog and from there its is possible to travel Blaenau Ffestiniog on another narrow gauge steam hauled service, where there is a direct interchange to the National Rail station and network.

Both railways travel through spectacular scenery and there is a huge amount of history that surrounds them both, albeit the completion and extension of the WHR is a modern 21st Century achievement. Whilst both railways are more than worthy of a visit, I'd question there means of a mode of transport per se. But, it is not unusual to see walkers get off at intermediate stations to allow them to get a head start into the wild of the Welsh fells/mountains.

If in the area, I would say the slate mines and the Italianate/baroque folly village of Portmeirion are absolute musts, the later to see the location of Patrick McGhoohan's ground breaking ITC Tv series the Prisoner, which Portmeirion, became the the iconic 'Village'.

"Be seeing you".

Posted by
12 posts

Johnnew52, we're flying into Manchester because that was my originally intended base but am much more excited about Chester thanks to the input received. Bletchley Park is a couple of hours minimum by train from Chester so we will have to decide if we want to devote a day to it. It may be a nice easy way to spend a day. Also, Stoke on Trent looks like a very interesting place to stop off with it's history of Pottery and museums. Thank you!

Posted by
12 posts

isn31c
"If you were lucky the last local train to Bletchley has just last week got brand new Class 730 electric trains." Very cool!
Thank you for the information about the Welsh Highland narrow gauge steam Line from Caernarfon. Love the idea of the contrasting trips via electric train and narrow gauge steam train. I quite enjoy train travel. And I will certainly research the regional passes, thanks for that reminder! Was in Germany last November and they saved a considerable amount of money. Thank you!

Posted by
12 posts

MaryC, thank you for recommending Snowdonia so highly. It always helps to hear such positive thoughts on places to visit. I appreciate your comments about driving. I drove all around Ireland a few years ago so have experience driving on the left but I prefer to not be the primary driver this time and my bff won't even drive on the freeway in the US so trains it is, lol. And tours where we can find them. Thank you!

Posted by
12 posts

Laughing Spam Fritter..."some fantastic place"...I would have thought Hawaii but a moment's research revealed Spam Fritters were first found in the UK during WW2 when it was used in lieu of fish due to a shortage! I love learning things like that so thanks for your interesting name and location!!!

I'm pondering your comments regarding the railways but I think your description of them passing through spectacular scenery is pretty convincing even if they are not exactly practical transportation. Just checked the railway site and it looks too great to miss!
Thanks for this further detailed info: "WHR connects to the Ffestiniog Railway at the Harbour station in Porthmadog and from there its is possible to travel Blaenau Ffestiniog on another narrow gauge steam hauled service, where there is a direct interchange to the National Rail station and network."

Also, Portmeirion and the slate mines sound well worth a visit. I love the idea of seeing where Patrick McGoohan filmed the "Village". I can visualize it just thinking of the series. I think the town added an interesting kitschy dimension to the show. On a side note, I really liked him in this series but would have to say Secret Agent was better.

Thanks for your time and comments, best wishes!

Posted by
12 posts

Thanks to all, I sincerely appreciate your input. It can be challenging trying to make decisions when there are so many options, not just in one town but in an entire country. You have reassured me that it will be an awesome trip with your comments. Wishing you all Happy Holidays as we head into that time of year.

Best wishes,
Darlene
St George, Utah

Posted by
2409 posts

Consider Cardiff rather than Bristol as one of your bases as the city centre is more compact and right by the central rail station. You also have 4 castles that you can easily visit in and around the city.

From Cardiff, you can go by direct train to Chester and north Wales. However, I would suggest you go by train from Cardiff to Shrewsbury - have a look around this historic town (or even stay 1 night) and then take a train west to the Cambrian coast and head for a base at Porthmadog - which is excellent for Portmeirion and the Welsh Highland Railway. When you leave Porthmadog, you can go one way on the Ffestiniog steam Railway to Blaenau Ffestiniog and transfer to a normal train to Llandudno / Conwy where you might wish to stay for 2 or 3 nights before heading to Chester. https://www.thecambrianline.co.uk

More on Cardiff:> https://www.cardiffcastle.com/the-castle/ is found in the centre and dates from Roman times. In the middle is a Norman keep (1087) but much of the castle dates from the 1800’s when it was owned by the Marquess of Bute. CARDIFF CASTLE is now under the control of Cardiff Council who unfortunately allow events to take place on the green in the middle. When I visited in June, if was full of stuff in preparation for Blondie and Tom Jones was also due later that month.
CAERPHILLY CASTLE is a massive medieval fortress just a 20 minute local train ride north from Cardiff. The town of Caerphilly is a dump in an ex mining area but the castle is everything that you would expect of an 1100’s fortress complete with moat. If you are visiting Caerphilly, you might like to break the journey at Lisvane station and walk for 5 minutes across the car park and into CEFN-ONN-PARK (free). In spring it is very colourful with azaleas, camellias, rhododendrons and bluebells all under the canopy of a temperate rain forest. https://www.outdoorcardiff.com/parks/parc-cefn-onn/
CASTELL COCH stands on a hillside in north Cardiff. If you have a car - it is M4 junction 32 and you could easily visit this castle and Caerphilly Castle in one go. If visiting by bus from Cardiff - you need Stagecoach 132 from Greyfriars Road and alight at Tongwynlais (about 25 minutes out). The walk from the bus stop to castle is about 17 minutes uphill.
ST.FAGANS CASTLE & MUSEUM OF WELSH LIFE is just to the west of the city. This must be the best free place to visit in the UK - you have to pay for parking = £6 at present. The site is vast and needs at least half a day. You have grounds with buildings of significance brought from all over Wales and re-erected. The Castle is really a 1500’s Manor House. You will also find gardens near the castle.
You will also find indoor galleries explaining about life in Wales through the ages - handy if it starts to rain.
LLANDAFF CATHEDRAL is about 2 miles NW of Cardiff Castle.
If visiting Cardiff, I suggest you visit CARDIFF BAY - which is just over 1 mile south of the city centre.
https://cardiffmuseum.com is a small museum about Cardiff in the centre of the city. THE NATIONAL MUSEUM OF WALES is found just N of the shopping area next to the City Hall. It has extensive art galleries.
If visiting Cardiff, note that the city holds major events - especially in the Principality Stadium. This can result in hotels charging massive rates to cash in on all the fans and transport systems are stretched. (Taylor Swift is now booked for 18 June 2024).
Best to avoid such events if of no interest.
https://www.visitcardiff.com

Posted by
876 posts

gudhart - my comment about Bletchley Park was mainly because you had indicated that it was one place that you wanted to visit. It clearly doesn't fit easily into a holiday with bases in Chester and Bristol. But, as you say, it is doable as you can get there in just over two hours from Chester.

I remember passing through St George many years ago en route between Las Vegas and Zion NP!

Posted by
12 posts

Johnnew52, I appreciate your information re Bletchley. It certainly helps to know the reality of what we can/should include or not. I think Bletchley will probably end up on the optional list...how tired we are, do we have time, etc. However after reading about Stoke-on-Trent it moves up that list!

I'm glad to hear you've visited St George. I feel qualified to say that it is truly one of the most beautiful areas in the US as I've traveled to all of the states with the exception of North Dakota. We happen to live a little north of St George in the Diamond Valley community which is quite rural (livestock of every variety). It is directly across from the north end of Snow Canyon State Park which is a small but very beautiful park. We have 2 cinder cones at the entrance to our community that get quite of bit of attention from people who are up to the climb. We're pretty proud of them, lol.

I sincerely appreciate all of your input. Never having been much outside of London it is very difficult to anticipate the reality of travel without the help of kind people such as yourself!

Posted by
2409 posts

I have never been to Stoke-on-Trent but I understand that it is a dump from someone who lived there until 18.

Posted by
5755 posts

I have never been to Stoke-on-Trent but I understand that it is a dump from someone who lived there until 18.

Not exactly up to date, or personal information, very unhelpful. Totally ignores the very interesting history of the Potteries- the six towns of Burslem, Fenton, Hanley, Longton, Stoke and Tunstall, which together form the modern city of Stoke.

Posted by
876 posts

Stoke-on-Trent is a place which admirably makes a point about tourism in the UK. It is probably on just about nobody's list of places to see but yet has lots that will divert anyone in the least interested in pottery and the Industrial Revolution. I know it quite well as we have a canal narrowboat and go through there often. I particular commend the Emma Bridgewater Factory for somewhere with a more modern take on pottery and also with an excellent outlet shop and cafe.

The truth is that you can throw a dart at the map of the UK and go and stay there for a week and find lots to interest you wherever it is. Which is what frustrates many of us who continually read itineraries from foreign tourists with almost exactly the same plans. With those from North America it's usually Stonehenge, Windsor, Bath, Highclere Castle (Downton Abbey), the Cotswolds and Edinburgh. York and Liverpool have become more popular in recent years. Hardly anybody chooses Chester with out promoting from the UK or chooses Bristol rather than Bath. Asian tourists want to go to Bicester Shopping Village for reasons that completely escape me.

Posted by
12 posts

James, thank you SO much for the detailed information and links for Cardiff. You have certainly made it appealing. Have gone down the rabbit hole of possibilities. You had me at castles and museums! The National Museum of Cardiff with its significant impressionist collection is also a BIG win! We should probably reconsider the number of days we're spending in Chester so that we can add a few days in Conwy. Our initial plan was to use only two bases and just go slowly. We usually are only 1 or 2 nights in a location and have decided we don't want to travel that way anymore. So, more research on the horizon, lol.

"I would suggest you go by train from Cardiff to Shrewsbury" - this added a whole new dimension for me as last year they had an MXGP event at Hawkstone which is only 13 miles north. There are 2 events during the time we're in the UK so crossing fingers one of them might be held at Hawkstone again! I'm a huge Tommy Searles fan (and Billy Bolt/Johnny Walker/Mani Lettenbichler/ Graham Jarvis/Ed Warren-EdubMedia/Paul Bolton...can't exclude these guys!) If not Hawkstone hopefully somewhere near enough to get to a race. My DH claims I am too competition oriented, lol. Anyway, so appreciative that you provoked this search!

Thanks for all the input. You seem to have hit the nail on the head for my interests (and hopefully my traveling companion as well - best friend of 55 years!). Appreciate you!!!

Posted by
12 posts

Johnnew52 - may I just say I feel complimented by your remarks as I feel like my research has paid off in finding gems to visit. I do absolutely agree that no matter where we choose we would likely be happy with the opportunities.

Thanks for the comments re Stoke-on-Trent. Pottery, canals, beautiful gardens...it all sounds wonderful to me! And I am so impressed that you have a canal narrowboat. Oh how I would love to take one of the canal cruises (extended) but they are usually pretty pricey. I am planning to research taking a short trip on one while we're there.

Are you familiar with the series where Guy Martin purchases and builds his boat? I loved it!

Thanks once again for your suggestions - Emma Bridgewater Factory sounds terrific and I think I'm seeing new dishware in my future! Have a wonderful day!!!

Posted by
12 posts

GerryM - Agree with you so much!! This has been absolutely fantastic and HELPFUL!!! I'm so grateful!

Posted by
876 posts

I will admit that I had to google MXGP to find out what it is let alone what events might be on at Hawkstone. Sadly for you the 2014 event is on 24/2/24 so miles away from your visit. There is nothing planned in the UK in August or September.

Your interest in canals could easily be catered for however. The Shropshire Union canal runs right through Chester so a towpath walk could easily fit in to your trip - the canal at one stage runs right outside the walls.

Another possible trip to add to your plans would be a visit to Llangollen to see and possibly take a trip across the extraordinary Pontcysyllte aqueduct nearby. If you can walk a bit you can get a train from Chester to Chirk and walk from there to the aqueduct. You can hire a day canal boat to cross the aqueduct or take a seat on a trip boat across.

Apologies for making your choices even more difficult!

Posted by
12 posts

isn31c, thanks for the National Waterways Museum. Its proximity to Chester makes it to the top tier of places to visit!!!

Johnew52, first, I apologize for misspelling your user name every time!! I got a smile out of your looking up MXGP. Thank you for doing that. I'm missing out on the US race called the Tennessee Knock Out as well. Darn the timing but at least I'll be able to watch them when I get home. You are indeed making the choices more difficult BUT I love researching and finding out about the wonderful choices to make whether I get to see them all or not. I will definitely be walking along the Shropshire Canal! Thank you.

I am traveling for our Thanksgiving holiday so will only have sporadic access to the Community comments. Please excuse me if you post and I am slow to react. I will be back, lol! (We're taking a California Gold Country road trip. We'll see old mining camps, railway stations and the like.) Anyway, thanks for all of your contributions!!!!