Please sign in to post.

Last minute advice

Hi,
Looking forward to arriving in London on September 6 for 2 weeks. Taking my 84 year old Mom on her first trip to London. Have done a lot of planning but would like some advise about a few things. Oh, and Emma taking your advise and going to Petrus.
1. Best option Russell Square to London Eye: tube to Waterloo - or bus from stop E or J ,off at N Waterloo Bridge?
2. Thinking after Eye taking bus over to Westminster Abbey: looks like Stop G County Hall closest to Eye then off at P Parliament Square.
3. Russell Square to Tower of London: looks like tube best option, believe bus was 18 stops and even taxi in heavy traffic could end up 30 pounds.
4. If we do Jason's Trip canal ride will I be able to find it from Warwick tube without getting lost,
and getting off at Camden Lock will I be able to find Camden Town tube? Bus from stop M Hawley road off Russell Square J maybe better option coming back!
5. Mom can't decide if she wants to see Stonehenge, I may go by myself . I've been twice and it's like when I go to the zoo to see Panda's you have to drag me away. Is Evan Evans good choice for that? Was there 3 years ago but don't remember who went with.
And if anyone can think of anything else to make traveling with Mom easier chime in! We will spend some days just enjoying sitting in a park. It's been in the 90's here so looking forward to some cooler weather.
Thanks,
Sharon

Posted by
8645 posts

Someone correct me if I am wrong but would think you'd want the South Bank stop of the Waterloo Bridge to be closest to the Eye if you took the bus. Believe it's stop P. Personally, if your mother doesn't have mobility issues, I'd opt for the tube to Westminster station. Then walk over Westminster Bridge to the Eye enjoying looking back at the iconic view of Parliament and Big Ben. Suggesting this option only because depending on which underground line you took to arrive at Waterloo would necessitate a good bit of walking within the station just to get to the London Eye exit.

Yes, take the tube to the Tower. Very short distance from the station to the Tower entrance. If you do the canal ride to Camden Lock it will not be difficult to find the Camden Tube stop. Walk away from the Blue, Green and Gold Camden Lock train track over pass, (type in Camden Lock Market in your search engine, click on images so you can see what I am referring to) go over the canal and down Camden High Street. Well marked and if you have trouble merely ask someone and they'll point you the right way. Please note Camden Lock Market when in full swing is VERY busy and always crowded so be prepared for the masses there and along Camden High Street. A bus ride from here Camden Lock is a great idea though. Maybe Emma can chime in and suggest the exact one that will get you back to Russell Square. If you choose Regent's Park to enjoy try to visit the sweet little Cow and Coffee Bean cafe at Chester Road on The Boardwalk. Cross Chester road and you'll find manicured gardens along the Boardwalk or walk up Chester Road (there's a sign) to where it dead ends and walk into Queen Mary's Gardens. All lovely spots to sit and enjoy. If Mom does agree to visit Stonehenge and your days coincide might consider a www.walks.com day trip. As far as making traveling with Mom easier I'd make certain that whatever purse she wants to carry that it be one that goes across her body and that her pair of shoes are well worn in, practical and comfortable. Have fun.

Posted by
470 posts

I am sure you have already thought about all this, but I imagine your Mom would be riveted by the Churchill War Rooms. Also, any concert at St. Martin in the Fields. We did a Stonehenge tour that included Avebury, King Arthur's Avalon, Chalice Well and free time for lunch in Glastonbury. It was a small-bus tour, but I can't remember the name of the company. We met at Victoria Station. Sorry this is not more helpful, but I do think your Mom would enjoy the Stonehenge tour if you found one that includes all the other stops as well. Finally, I think your Mom would enjoy Windsor Castle. We took a train out of Waterloo Station. It was an easy trip, and a fascinating venue.

Posted by
2 posts

Hi, Maybe you've decided the hop-on-hop off bus tours isn't for you, but when I was in London for a short visit, I found it very easy and convenient to get around (in addition to the tour info provided while on the bus) and one of the stops was right at the Tower of London where I spent several hours. As I'm sure your know, irrespective of Mom's mobility, at 84 she will appreciate expending her energy at the site rather than getting to it (I know I did and I have a few decades to catch up with her :). I used the "Original" located right at Trafalgar Square, but there's also the "Big Bus" and both have a number of included walks and the boat ride on the Thames. Just a thought...hope you have fun!

Posted by
58 posts

Thanks for all ideas, really appreciate!! :-) putting everything down in my travel book. Just the advise I was looking for very helpful.
And have hop on hop off ticket printed. Thought perfect to give Mom over view.

Posted by
101 posts

The Thames River cruise up to Greenwich is a enjoyable, relaxed excursion.