Please sign in to post.

Gatwick to Heathrow

We land at Gatwick at 6:15pm and have a hotel (Thistle London) reserved near Heathrow. We will have 2 pieces of luggage each and I'm wondering if we should do a private car to transfer from Gatwick to the hotel? I'm concerned that arriving at this time and transferring using either the bus and / or train with the luggage.

Has anyone used the pods to transfer between the hotel and Heathrow? We will be flying on American Airlines and I think it is in Terminal 3 and the hotel is near Terminal 5. Any help advice is welcomed. Best Regards, Vickie

Posted by
4684 posts

If you aren't using a taxi, most people would suggest using the direct bus service between those two airports, as rail routes all require potentially inconvenient changes. The buses are long-distance ones with baggage compartments, and there will usually be staff available to help with loading/unloading. You won't be clinging on to a suitcase on an urban-style bus.

Posted by
5326 posts

The pods are £5 each to ride in so a bit pricey, especially when you aren't getting to the terminal you want directly although maybe you'd like the novelty. You could get a bus to T5 for free (423).

Posted by
2 posts

Thank you both for responding and will look further into taking the buses.

Kind Regards,
Vickie

Posted by
5835 posts
Posted by
4684 posts

There is absolutely no point in using the TFL journey planner, as Gatwick Airport is well outside the TFL area and the journey planner does not cover long-distance coach services. You can find details of direct services at www.nationalexpress.com

Posted by
5326 posts

TfL planner does go out as far as Gatwick, but this just illustrates that the journey requires several changes and is under usual circumstances longer.