Please sign in to post.

Sim card in UK

We've got a Razr Maxx that will work in the UK with our Verizon plan. I'm considering getting a sim card in the UK because of lower cost for voice and data. We're old, and don't do texting, but might on this trip. We will use WiFi whenever possible, and may try internet phone apps. I've looked at a number of sites that offer apparently low costs, but it is confusing with "free minutes", "free text", tariffs, top-ups, etc. Presumably I need an "international" plan to be able to call back to the U.S. I've looked at Carphone Warehouse, and found Lebara plans that look good.

Any advice on reliable pre-paid plans that would give maybe 150 min. voice, 500 MB data, free text, low rates? Any way to get the sim delivered here in the U.S., rather than hassling with shopping in London after a 10 hr. flight? Do I need to activate the sim card right away?

Thanks.

Posted by
4140 posts

Spend a bit of time on the website - http://www.lebara.co.uk/ - and determine which product is suitable for you , I have used this company for a number of years and have been very pleased . I'm back in the UK next week , and will pick one up at the nearest tobacconist . PS - One of Lebara's cards is talk , text and 2 GB data for 12 GBP

Posted by
32201 posts

Jerry,

I'd suggest stopping at a Carphone Warehouse, as they sell phones and SIM's from all the networks. You shouldn't hve to go far to find one, as they have lots of branches. The staff there will be able to help you sort out the best option.

Note that your phone will also have to be "unlocked" in order to use a SIM card from any other network. I haven't checked but hopefully the Verizon version of that phone doesn't have some functions disabled.

Posted by
152 posts

Thanks to Ken and Steven for your reply. I have done some checking at the Carphone Warehouse and Lebara websites. Do I need to have a sim card/plan that uses the word "international" somewhere? I gues that's to get lower tariff (rates) on calls to the US. Also, it seems like there is no way to sign up and get the card delivered before I get to England. I realize there are lots of places anxious to sell you the right stuff, and also remember how tired I was on arrival. That does not seem like a good time to be buying electronic stuff.

Anyway, I will check out the sites and try to at least have a product in mind before I get off the plane. I did have a reply to my private message box, suggesting I contact a member of a user forum who could take delivery of a card, then send it over to me. Not sure I like that method. Since we don't do much calling, except maybe to let a lodging spot know we'll be late, this is all much ado about nothing, except for "data" to get on the internet when there's no viable WiFi.

Posted by
32201 posts

Jerry,

Another option to consider is to use a travel SIM, which you could have delivered prior to your trip. Many of them use U.K. based numbers, so the rates would be similar to buying a SIM when you arrive. Two advantages of a travel SIM....

1. You have a working phone as soon as you step off the plane.
  2. Many of them use post-paid billing (calls charged to a credit card), so never any concerns with topping-up.

One disadvantage of these plans is that data is usually somewhat "pricey".

Have a look at the websites for Roam Simple, Cellular Abroad, Telestial, Mobal or EuroBuzz for some examples.

Posted by
152 posts

Thanks to all. Ken, it looks like the travel SIMs have high priced data costs. I think we'll need to decide which is most important: minutes of talk or data. Probably go with one of the Lebara plans, though their coverage (Vodaphone) doesn't look that great in Scotland and Yorkshire. But, we'll likely have WiFi access most of the time anyway.

So, thanks again, for the practical advice.

Jerry