Please sign in to post.

Heathrow layover

We will arrive in Terminal 5 at Heathrow at 10:30 a.m. and will leave the next day at 6:45a.m. We have booked a hotel not far from the terminal but cannot check in until 3p.m. We would like to see a little of London. Can we take public transportation and if so which line and how long would it take to get to downtown London. Are there any sites closer to Heathrow?

Posted by
9099 posts

The Picadilly underground metro line runs direct from Heathrow to the center of London. Journey time around 45 minutes depending on which stop you get off.

In addition you are also very close to awesome and charming Windsor with it's famous castle which borders the airport. You can easily reach the village center/castle via a quick taxi trip.

If it were me I would spend the day in Windsor. It will be more relaxing and stress-free. Save London for another trip when you can give it more time.

https://en.wikivoyage.org/wiki/Windsor_and_Eton

Posted by
9110 posts

Stretching it, you've got from noon to midnight. I used to drive up from Poole just to get a couple hours in the museum, surely you could find something to look at and there's no way you'll miss the plane.

The hotel should let you stash your stuff somewhere - - give it a go.

Posted by
11294 posts

Ed's right that if the room is not ready, the hotel will store your stuff while you're out exploring. I always prepare for this by having things like my guidebook ready to remove from my bag, so I can take what I'll need for the day and give them the rest to store.

However, it's also true that the room may be ready. Particularly at an airport hotel where many people are likely to have early checkouts, you may be able to go right to your room, or go after a short delay.

Posted by
2 posts

Thank you for your help. Windsor sounds like a good bet for the trip over. We will have a little more time as we return.