Please sign in to post.

Solo Female Traveler?

Hello,

I am in a bit of a dilemma. I planned a trip for a friend and me to go to Dublin, London and Paris for two weeks and now it appears he can no longer go. The trip is a week away and I really do not want to cancel the trip. I am a 22 year old female, would be safe/fun for me to go alone? Or should I postpone to some other time?

Posted by
987 posts

It would be safe for you to travel alone as long as take the normal precautions you would take when out and about at home (be aware of your surroundings, keep track of your belongings, etc.) I also like to be able to communicate when traveling alone, so I make sure to have a phone with me that will work where I am traveling. It can be fun to travel alone. You can go where you want and do what you want, when you want without having to worry about what your travel partner wants. I tend to be more open to meeting and talking with others when I am alone. If you stay in hostels, you might find that you meet some people at the hostels to spend some time with seeing attractions or going out. Are you a person who always prefers to do things with others, or are you okay with going for a walk, having lunch or going shopping alone at home? If you aren't in the first category, I would say go for it! Many people travel alone and really enjoy it.

Posted by
3391 posts

You absolutely should still go! It's as safe as it would be at home, taking the same precautions you would in any big city.
I find that when I travel by myself, it helps me to have a daily plan for what I am going to do so that I have a focus for my day. I don't want to get lonely and that mostly happens when I start wandering aimlessly! Although sometimes I do this if I'm just exploring a neighborhood.
Consider signing up for some sort of art or cooking class so that you can meet people? Hang out in a small, neighborhood pub for a while and you're bound to strike up a conversation - I've done this many times. I was even invited to someone's summer home in northern France once just because I commented on the cute dog the lady had at the next table at a small restaurant in Paris. This is not the norm, mind you, but she just happened to be a very friendly, personable individual and we just happened to have much in common. Be open to others and you'll meet amazing people...with reasonable caution of course!

Posted by
9363 posts

Go!
I travel alone a lot of times, and I always have a good time. I like being able to do just what I want for as long as I want, and not having to consult anyone else. My first experience traveling alone was when I was younger than you are now, when I hitchhiked alone in England. (OK, it was a number of decades ago when lots of people hitched.) The only thing I miss is having someone to say, "Remember when that happened?" Dublin and London could not be easier to travel in, and Paris won't be that difficult, either. Have a great time!

Posted by
919 posts

I've been to all three for a few days on my own, and it was fine. I agree about checking into local tours, classes, walking tours, etc. to break up the alone time with social time. The only comment I'll add with no offense to Dubliners, is that I got the impression the nighttime pub atmosphere in Dublin seemed to have more of a 'drink to get drunk' vibe about it than I saw in London. Could be, though, that I was witnessing stag and hen parties or there was something else going on I didn't know about. So unless I was on a guided nighttime pub tour in Dublin I wouldn't go out on my own at night, but that's me. Am not saying it's not safe, I just didn't care to be a part of it.

Hope you have a great time!

Posted by
32202 posts

cindy,

I agree with the others, and concur with the suggestions they've offered. After all the planning and anticipation, it would be unfortunate to cancel the trip at this late date. While it would have been nice to have someone to share the trip with, there are also advantages to travelling solo.

In addition to being vigilant and "situationally aware", be sure to wear a Money Belt under your clothing for storage of important items like credit cards, Passport and larger amounts of cash. Do NOT access it within view of others. There will be pickpockets at work, especially in Paris.

If you'll be staying in Hostels, I'm sure you'll be able to enjoy some of the Pubs in the Temple Bar area in the evenings, as you can walk down there with one or more people from the Hostel.

Hope you have a wonderful trip!

Posted by
8663 posts

London walks www.walks.com should be on your radar. Nice way to engage others and learn about London history, be it Beatles, WW2, Jack The Ripper, Victorian London, et al. Pack light. Wear the money belt. Don't party to you drop. That's for amateurs. Be confident yet cautious. You'll learn a lot about yourself. GO, explore, enjoy!!!

Posted by
11507 posts

There is a thread on another forum right now.

80 yr old woman visits Paris solo for first time in her life.

She had a blast, and she had no experience with independent travel.

Go for it.

Posted by
16893 posts

Hi, Cindy. I first traveled alone in the US at about age 21, and nearly every year since then, including Britain at age 24 and much of Western Europe at 25. These were fabulous experiences, both for the complete independence I felt and all the wonderful places I visited. Since you have already done the planning, I see no reason to cancel. Those are three wonderful cities, and mostly English-speaking. And although I hardly ever called my poor parents, you will find communication much easier online, if you need to hear a friendly voice. See also tips for traveling solo at http://www.ricksteves.com/travel-tips/trip-planning.

Posted by
8 posts

Thank you to everyone who replied! Unfortunately for me, I still do have to cancel the trip but for any future endeavors I can rest assured that traveling solo is always the way to go!