Please sign in to post.

Visa requirements

I am a US green card holder and South African citizen/passport holder
Would I need to apply for a visa to enter the UK (England specifically) ?

Thank you

Posted by
9099 posts

From that article:
"...Check before travel, because requirements may change...."

So if the official UK Immigration site says you need a visa, then you need one. The UK govt. has the last word on it not USA Today.

Posted by
60 posts

Basically, no. The green card gives you the right to live and work in the US. You are still a citizen of South Africa and have to abide by the visa rules for those citizens.

Posted by
7010 posts

It's the passport you hold that makes the determination, not whether you have a green card or not.

Posted by
869 posts

According to the UK Government website as a SA citizen and passport holder you can visit the UK for up to 90 days without a visa. If you are still not sure - for heavens sake contact the nearest UK Embassy. As others have said - all the green card does is allow you to work and live in the US. It really has no relevance outside of the US.

Posted by
4535 posts

According to the UK Government website as a SA citizen and passport holder you can visit the UK for up to 90 days without a visa. If you are still not sure - for heavens sake contact the nearest UK Embassy.

According to the UK Government website linked in the first post, a SA citizen (passport holder) MUST have a visa for a normal tourist visit. But the second sentence is good, when in doubt call the British embassy or consulate and ask. They'll know more than any of us or a newspaper.

Posted by
5311 posts

The visa requirement was introduced in 2009.

The USA Today article is undated as far as i can see.