Please sign in to post.

London Eye Question

Hello. With our trip coming up soon, I was wondering if its worth buying tickets for the London Eye in advance. If I do, I can get a 15 or 20% savings for a family of 4. I know that the weather is unpredictable but is it worth buying the tickets ahead of time or should be just buy them there? Our dates are Sept 25-28, so how bad would the lines be? Thanks.

Posted by
497 posts

I wouldn't buy it from now. Wait and see what the weather is like when you get there.

Posted by
123 posts

If you want the discount - which would be a good discount considering there's a family rate - I would go ahead and buy them ahead of time. Late September is a good time to be in London; of course weather is greatly unpredictable and it could certainly rain any time in London - but I found the whole experience and views to be great regardless of what the weather's like. London's sights are not terribly high and so even in bad weather you will still see enough of the skyline. Lines would not necessarily be terrible in late September though so if you would rather wait, you're probably not going to face the type of lines you would in June-July-August. If you do choose this route, 11 a.m. through 5 p.m. are usually the busiest times so maybe just go early or later in the afternoon.

Posted by
5835 posts

As Rosie notes, the Eye experience is more than just the view. For other panoramic view spots, climb the St Paul's Cathedral dome. The top level will give you a panoramic view of London including the Thames.

Posted by
6 posts

I went on the London Eye and was worried about the same thing. I also went around the same time. The Eye at the time time I went had a flex ticket. It was more expensive, but it was good for a week at any time I wanted to go. It also got me in the faster line. I loved it. This way I knew that if I could not make it on a particular day and time, or if the weather was bad I could just wait and go another day during my stay. I would see if they still have this option. I know you can't get the 20% off for your tickets, but if this is something you want to do at least you will not be saddled with a bad day.

T. Ann

Posted by
10344 posts

As the above post says, "at least you will not be saddled with a bad day."

Posted by
11 posts

We were there 2 weeks ago, and decided to go on the Eye just as it started pouring down rain. Didn't matter, it was still a great view and very enjoyable! Pictures taken weren't so great, since you were looking through the droplets on the glass, but that wasn't why we went, anyway.

Posted by
168 posts

Thank you for the advise. I think my family and I will either go with a flex pass for any day or just wait until we get there. Still talking it over with the family. Thanks again.

Posted by
22 posts

We were there several years ago and went up at night. It was raining and so cold - period of time between our Thanksgiving and Christmas. We had the car to ourselves! We made pictures even though it was raining and they turned out good. We purchased a combination ticket for the Eye and Madam Tussaud's. I don't remember the price but at the time it seemed to be a good deal. We'll be there again in October, and I want to go up again.