Please sign in to post.

Europe by train

Land at Heath row August 29th like to know quickest way to get to Liverpool ..... Sept 3rd fly to Geneva from Liverpool want to use the train from there seeing the sights in Switzerland Then onto Austria [via train] few days there, onto Germany Then onto Paris Then fly back to London Heathrow And back to California Sept 22rd or just train it back from Germany to Heathrow london I hope this can be done my husband & I are in our mid 70,s hicking & to much walking is really not a option for me [I mean long walks ] We are really quite fit ,

Posted by
20026 posts

This is certainly feasible. The simplest way to Liverpool is to take the train to Paddington and then transfer to Euston station, probably by taxi would be simplest, then a direct train to Liverpool. Once in Geneva there is a train station at the airport where you can go all over Switzerland, Austria, Germany, on to Paris and then to London by train. Think about flying into Liverpool and home from Paris if you do not intend to spend any time in London.

Posted by
2399 posts

You do not state where you are coming from but I presume it is the USA. If so, you might be able to find a flight that will take you into Manchester airport - which is just a short train ride away from Liverpool.

All British train routes appear on www.nationalrail.co.uk - so, you may like to put in for a journey from Heathrow to Liverpool. Then put in for a separate journey from Heathrow to London (Euston) & see what it tells you. Then, another separate journey from EUS > Liverpool. Now, which works out cheaper? You will see that www.virgintrains.co.uk operate from EUS > Liverpool & that by stating a specific train, you can get a relatively cheap Advance fare by booking now.

Everything you need to know about European train travel is here:>http://www.seat61.com

Flights can be found here:> www.skyscanner.net

Posted by
16893 posts

I recommend using the resources at http://www.ricksteves.com/travel-tips/transportation/trains to find train schedules and learn how train tickets and rail passes work. Paris to London by Eurostar train is always a separate ticket, not covered by a pass, and being seniors is an additional way to qualify for one of their better rates. It's a good idea to reserve ahead (and soon) for any international or long-distance train to/from Paris - if buying reserved tickets, they are cheaper to buy online now, and if using a Eurail Selectpass, the number of seat reservations is limited for pass holders. Pass prices range from $500 per person for 5 days of 1st-class travel within 2 months in Switzerland-Austria-Germany-France up to $720 for 10 travel days.

Posted by
10 posts

they change of plan flying into Manchester the 4th of September leaving Manchester the 29th of September 4 days in the UK from Manchester fly to Geneva how many days should one spend in Switzerland we are traveling by train then would like to go to St Moritz for 2 days to Austria for five Gemany 3 Paris a couple of day fly back to Manchester then back home to California wish I could get a map especially the train availability time and schedules

Posted by
4684 posts

If you want to know what rail services are available, and which towns form a logical route, I would STRONGLY recommend buying a European Rail Timetable from http://www.europeanrailtimetable.eu/. This is the publication formerly known as the Thomas Cook Rail Timetable, and includes maps and timetables for all but the smallest and most local lines in Switzerland, Austria and Germany.

Posted by
10 posts

Our plans have change some We fly into Manchester from California 5th Sept. Fly from Manchester to Geneva (the 9th Sept. train to Lausanne we have a 2 night reservation at the Hostel there . Do we use our Euroselect pass for our train from Geneva to Lausanne , we plan to get early so we could do some more travel on our pass ! say to Bern ,or & Zurich ??? of course have to return . I would like to go to visit Interlaken Wegen & jungfrau Have any ideas as to change & where our accommodations. We have 4 country 10 day 2 month select pass [we only have 3 weeks holiday ] I want to take a glance at St Moritz is there any way we can do this [I know our 4 county doesnt include Italy ] ??? help this a dream of mine . Onto Austria I would like to see the Lipizzaner horses in practice a boat ride on the Danube . music have you more ideas ,also is the a hostel sleeping cental ??? onto germany [not any great desires there ,except l would love to a boat ride on the Rhine ... onto France if we havnt run out of time & money!!! love to visit Paris & then fly back to Manchester leave to go back to Ca 29th sept with lots of WONDERFUL memoies