Please sign in to post.

Travel Card

Planning a trip to London with my husband and 18 year old daughter . Going to be there for 5 days, mostly in London proper , other than a trip to the Harry Potter attraction. After reading a ton about the Oyster with a zone 1-2 travel card, I think that's what we'll go for. I vaguely remember reading something in the past about some kind of deal when you buy three travel cards? Does anyone know what I am talking about? Did I dream this? Thanks -

Posted by
3428 posts

I am unaware of a 'deal' for 3 travel cards. However, you may be thinking of the two-for-one deals (2-4-1) that are available when you purchase PAPER travel cards at a NATIONAL RAIL STATION (not a Tube Station). There are single day travel cards and 7 day travel cards. Even if you are there for only 5 days, the 7 day card might save you plenty- and that doesn't even include using it for the two-for-one discounts on admissions, restaurants, etc.

You can read more about this at this website
[http://www.daysoutguide.co.uk/default][1]
You do not need or want Oyster cards for this deal.

Posted by
6 posts

Thank you for the reply. Now, I am confused (again!). So one may buy a paper travel card at a rail station as opposed to adding a travel card to your Oyster card , which you buy from a tube station? What is the pros and cons to each ( besides the 2-4-1 with the paper card)? If I fly into Heathrow, is that a rail station or a tube station?

Posted by
211 posts

Pam, Heathrow is an airport with several tube stations (Terminals 1-2-3, Terminal 4 and Terminal 5). There is the Heathrow Express and Heathrow Connect which are fast trains which go to Paddington Rail Station.

It might be easier to just buy daily travel cards for Zones 1-2 instead of getting an Oyster card. However, if you elect to buy them for the day you arrive, they will be for Zones 1-6 as Heathrow is in Zone 6 and thus those cards will be more expensive. Really depends on what time your flight arrives and if you are going to do lots of bus and tube travel the day you arrive.

Posted by
32752 posts

The stations at Heathrow for the Heathrow Express (watch out for strike action this summer) and Heathrow Connect are not National Rail booking offices and as such cannot issue paper National Rail Travelcards.