Please sign in to post.

brussels or amsterdam

My wife and I are planning a trip for London in late September. Right now we are planning on spending 6 days in London with side trips to York and Windsor and 3 days in Bath with a side trip to Stonehenge. We have two days to fill and are looking for suggestions. This is going to be at the end of our trip so we need to be close to an airport for our return trip home. I was thinking that Amsterdam or Brussels might be an option. Would these be doable and if so which is best? I'm leaning towards Amsterdam but I'm open to other suggestions. Also, what would be the best way to get there: train or plane? Thanks.

Posted by
1021 posts

Brussels has its charms but I would choose Amsterdam. I find it more picturesque with a livelier vibe. The museums are excellent.

Posted by
9098 posts

What Lee said....Amsterdam!

To get there you have two choices flying, or taking the Chunnel train to Brussels and transferring to the high-speed Thalys train to Amsterdam. Train goes from city-center to city-center, and it's more comfortable. If you fly you have the hassle of getting to/from the airports etc, and security hassles. http://www.nshispeed.nl/en

Posted by
516 posts

I would take a day off Bath. Would give you 3 days for Amsterdam. I would look at discount EU carriers. www.skyscanner.net to get from London to Amsterdam. Trains run from the airport to the city center in Amsterdam for around 4 EU ea.

Posted by
39 posts

Yes I've been thinking about taking a day off Bath. That would give us more time in Amsterdam with maybe a stop in Brussels along the way. My wife and I love riding the trains so we will probably go that route. Another choice could be Edinburgh. Just throwing that out there.

Posted by
15560 posts

Definitely take the Eurostar train rather than a plane. The train stations are in the city centers and you only need to be at the station an hour before departure for all security and border procedures. When you get off the train - with your luggage in hand - you just walk out the door.

York is a bit far for a day trip. Either plan on a couple of days or leave it for next time. You could go to Oxford or Cambridge for the day instead.