Please sign in to post.

york Bed and Breakfast

What's everyone's favorite B&B in York?

Thanks. I miss the Heroic B&B area. ;-(

Posted by
340 posts

My husband and I enjoyed the St. Raphael Guest House (mentioned in Rick's book), a very short walk to the Minster in York. The owners Dom and Zoe are very knowledgeable and helpful; and your breakfast is cooked to order, with two different types of bread freshly baked there each morning. In fact, as soon as we finalize our itinerary, I'll be contacting them for a return visit later this year.

Posted by
1547 posts

We also loved the St Raphael but were there under the previous owners. So happy to hear the place has maintained its quality!

Posted by
16893 posts

I also found that Bootham Terrace B & B area to be convenient, walkable from the train station with my backpack and walkable to sights. Several options there, if one is full.

Posted by
5 posts

Thanks a million! I've been to York before but only for a day -- and will look forward to a stay overnight with your recommendations. All best wishes, Lydia

Posted by
506 posts

We are at Abbyfields guest house right now 19 Bothem 9 trips to Europe and other than 1 other in Paris this is the best. The friendliest owner, best breakfast, immaculate.

Posted by
6504 posts

I don't know what everyone's favorite is, but we stayed three nights at the Abbey Guest House and liked it. Nice room, good breakfast, knowledgeable host, they did a laundry for us. It's right on the river a short walk from the station and most of the sights. They have limited parking too.

Posted by
17 posts

Apple House B and B next to the train station and walkable to town centre is great. Enjoy!

Posted by
797 posts

We stayed at the Ardmore Guest House and liked it very much. The location is just outside the wall and about a ten minute walk to onto the town. Vera also told us how to hook up with a very good 'free' walking tour conducted by retired guides.

Posted by
161 posts

Arnot House if you want a true Victorian experience. See my picture link for a taste of what you have in store for you. Kim, the proprietor, her mother, and her cat, have kept this place up to an impeccable standard. We had a four poster on the top floor, and I've never stayed in a room so elegant. The bathroom was huge, with a modern tub, there was a dvd player and a huge collection of discs, so that one afternoon when I wasn't feeling well and went back to the house, I watched an episode of Foyle's War. While you are in York, the National Railway Museum was amazing, with an extensive collection of trains, giving insight into the country's history in this particular way, and with a cafeteria (exceptionally good) right on the platform!
http://www.arnothouseyork.co.uk/
http://cleob.smugmug.com/Travel/England-2010/12563098_V72pPj#!i=902549787&k=XK5QxSK
Let me know if you have any questions about the B&B or anything about York!
laurel

Posted by
571 posts

I'll second the recommendation of Abbeyfields Guest House. Great location, great owners.