Please sign in to post.

Thames river cruise

Hi would you recommend taking a short river cruise for a London first timer? Will the sights be unique or can also be seen if I take a panoramic bus tour? Appreciate any tips on whether this will be a worthy activity given a short stay. Thanks!

Posted by
5835 posts

Enjoyable way to visit Greenwich is to boat from Big Ben to Greenwich. Transportation, sights and the captain does a running commentary

Posted by
100 posts

Edgar, I'm doing exactly that in July, to see the sights in Greenwich.

But I once did the river cruise from Richmond into London...about 2 hours. Yes, it's a nice way to see the sights from a different angle. Very relaxing and enjoyable.

Posted by
2261 posts

We took the Thames Clippers down to Greenwich and back-you'll see the O2 Arena-a nice way to see some stuff, and faster than the other boats. Kind of a commuter express, with fewer stops. You could take a slow boat out and a faster one back, too. Good fun and a nice perspective, and as I recall, our Oyster Cards were usable on the Clippers, not sure about others.

Posted by
5835 posts

After you end your Greenwich visit, a something to write home about return is to walk under the Thames River the take the underground back.

Posted by
9110 posts

Combine a short run in the river with a bus tour by taking a ride on an amphibious DUK. They leave from a block or two south of the Eye. There's faster and cheaper ways to get down to Greenwich and back.

Posted by
5835 posts

Greenwich foot tunnel:
http://www.greenwich-guide.org.uk/tunnel.htm

"The Greenwich Foot Tunnel runs under the River Thames between Cutty Sark Gardens and Island Gardens, on the Isle of Dogs. It is 1,217 feet in length and approximately 50 feet deep. Its original purpose was to allow south London residents to work in the docks on the Isle of Dogs. It was designed by Sir Alexander Binnie and was opened on 4 August 1902 at a cost of £127,000. The tunnel is lined with 200,000 glazed white tiles."

Posted by
2261 posts

Edgar, thanks for that, I remember taking a good look at that building and thinking it was WC's! Who knew? I would have loved to have walked through the tunnel-next time for sure. Greenwich was fascinating, though.

Posted by
34 posts

Thank you Edgar for that tip! We will use it when we head there at the end of the month.

Posted by
16893 posts

I enjoyed taking the river cruise from the Tate Britain Museum to the Tate Modern. You see some of the same view by walking the pedestrian area along the South Bank of the river, to look across at Westminster, etc., but the road is not close to the river on that side.