Please sign in to post.

Driving in the UK

It seems I keep giving the same advice so thought I'd put it on here ... I would say if visiting the UK do drive Britain has the friendliest drivers anywhere in the world and you can say you conquered the left (proper) side of the road ...the three things you will need are as follows:

Phillips Navigator map. These are standard issue to certain secret govt departments because they are quite simply the best road map of the UK. They are slightly more expensive, just a couple of pounds more but massively more information and at a scale that is perfect. They also have speed camera details and tourist information on

A good sat nav with speed camera locations. If your a frequent visitor buy a UK sat nav or you can now get them with UK and USA mapping. However, sometimes these need upgrading as soon as bought so might be worth buying in the USA prior to travel. If you decide to hire one with your hire car ensure it has speed camera locations on it.

Another point is choice of hire car. Most cars in the UK are a manual gear box type but more hire cars are automatic ensure you state your preference. Also remember in the UK even small cars can be diesel so ensure you know the type of fuel, it's normally stuck in somewhere obvious but if not ..check! Also, some roads in the lakes, Devon and Cornwall and Wales are quite narrow, so it may be worth getting a smaller car. However, Britain is a country of hedgerows so a higher SUV affords the luxury of seeing more and giving you the ability to park off road and get through those minor floods etc.
I hope that helps everyone! Any driving questions mail me !

Posted by
1640 posts

To add to John's post a couple of extra points:

Tolerance for speeding varies from police force area to police force area. For speed limits unless posted otherwise these are 30 mph (48 km/h) in towns, 60 mph (98 km/h) on rural roads and 70 mph (112 km/h) on motorways and dual carriageways. Unless posted otherwise the limit on those narrow often single track roads, where the hedgerow may be growing on an earth bank or a stone wall. is 60 and some local drivers may be driving to that limit. Fuel prices are high by European standards so a smaller car may also be an advantage there.

Posted by
56 posts

Yes those limits are for a car and national speed limits differ depending what vehicle you are driving. This confuses travellers as they drive a country road at 60 yet the truck in front can only do 40.

Travellers often confuse the fuel...diesel is much more prevalent in the UK....having taught "conversions" from left to right and right to left hand drive. I know from experience the mistakes people make when going from one side of the road and cat to the other.

What about choice of hire car?

What about parking....where I live we use parking discs and this TOTALY throws tourists who are fined in my local market square all the time..

What about speed cameras?

What to do if you have an emergency, route planning, etc etc...

Posted by
1021 posts

The TomTom UK-Ireland app works well without requiring data. It's updated automatically a couple of times a year. It's a bit different to use than Google Maps which is my preference but Google needs data. In recent years I've bought cheap Three sims for the iPhone and iPad to have data. Now I'm with TMobile on both so data is free in Europe. I take the AA atlas along but it never comes out of the bag. The Garmin GPS isn't used anymore. I've driven all over the UK for forty years and never been anywhere that I needed or wanted an SUV which is expensive to rent and run.