Please sign in to post.

Heathrow to Bath

I am landing at Heathrow and traveling to Bath (to join a RS tour). Which is a better option: taking a bus from the airport to Reading and then catching the train to Bath or taking a National Express bus from Heathrow to Bath?

Posted by
5326 posts

Which terminal are you arriving at? It does have a bearing on the relative merits.

Posted by
295 posts

The National express bus might be the best option. Its direct and after a long flight might be the easiest because you don't need to transfer or go into London. There are 10 buses a day and it takes about 2.12/ to 4 hours. www.nationalexpress.com You could also do the rail/bus combo into Reading- its quicker but could end up being more money. Both of these trips can be purchased in advance. Also, since you are a tour member contact the tour department and then can send you all the information on the best way to get to your tour. tour@ricksteves.com

Posted by
4 posts

Marco - Thanks for your response. I'm not sure of the arrival terminal for my flight. It's a Delta flight. The Heathrow website shows Delta flights arriving at terminal 4, but when I looked up the flight arrival information for today, it said terminal 3. How does the arrival terminal affect my decision about transportation to Bath?

Posted by
5326 posts

Terminal 4 is a pain for getting to anywhere apart from London so it is good that you are no longer going to arrive there.

My personal recommendation from Terminal 3 would be to check out the timetable and your arrival time plus allowance for immigration etc. If a direct coach shows in the appropriate time book it; if not go via the Reading coach/bus route. So I am more or less in line with Keith.

If you miss a booked coach you can travel on a space availability basis on a later one for an additional £5.