Please sign in to post.

Where Would You Go?

I would love to hear your thoughts and experiences re our next proposed overseas trip. We would like to hire a car and spend 3 weeks touring the 'back roads' and villages of of England. We have done Ireland, Scotland and Cornwall. One or two castles would be sufficient.

Posted by
6501 posts

We had a wonderful three-week driving trip a few years ago, flying in and out of Manchester. Stopped for three or four nights each in Chester, Conwy, York, Durham, Edinburgh, and Keswick, none of them villages but we got into some back roads and small places along the way. If I'd already seen enough of Scotland, I guess I would have gone further south into Wales or maybe down to the Cotswolds. And from Australia I guess you're flying into Heathrow. But we really loved the north of England.

Posted by
3696 posts

I love the Cotswolds, Wales and the north of England as well. I have spent a fair amount of time there and one of the places I would love to go back to is Whitby and drive that whole coastal area again. I think it is a little less touristy than the Cotswolds and if I remember correctly I think we headed over there after spending time in York (which I loved). I will have to look up my journal and see what other highlights I can find. There was one castle that we ended up near and there were an extraordinary amount of pheasants running all over the road, seemingly disoriented. We thought it was strange, but that it was an area where lots of them lived. We later happened upon a Brit who asked us "Are you here for the hunt?" We told him we were not that we were just tourists. Later that evening we returned to our condo where we were staying with some friends who were a British couple. We told them our story and they told us that they must have just released all the pheasants for the hunt... Guess the odds were with the hunters, especially with how crazy these pheasants seemed after being raised in captivity... they were sitting ducks (pheasants)

Posted by
9110 posts

And they were non-flying ducks as well. Released pheasants are fattened up to the point that they can barely get off the ground, making them easier targets.

Head out past Ipswich and Woodbridge to the coast and turn north. Hug the North Sea. Stop when you either run out of time or see the Welcome to Scotland sign.

Posted by
977 posts

Thanks - some helpful and interesting information. Whitby and that coastal region is an area of the UK that interests us. An historical interest in Whitby, as the home of Captain James Cook, who put us blokes, literally, on the world map!!! Same old story, so much to see so little time. That's why I envy people living in the northern hemisphere in terms of your ability to just hop on a plane and be in the UK in the same time as it takes us to get to Singapore!! We have done 4 overseas trip in the last 6 years and are finding the long flights harder to handle each time. We are fit, healthy 70 year olds with no health issues thankfully, but those 14 hour legs do my head in. I can usually sleep on a fence, but I just can't get comfortable. I think I've developed late onset ADD!!

Posted by
9110 posts

Keith's idea is better than mine since it has more variety.

But I'd slip the Norfolk Broads in there somewhere.

Also, if you're around Whitby and Robin Hood's Bay, you might just as well slip down to Scarborough for an ice cream for grins.

Posted by
3696 posts

@Ed... that's right, I forgot how fat they were...looking just ripe for someone's table.

There was a movie that was made in Whitby but I can't remember it...I think it had something to do with a locket? Anyway, fun to see either before or after you go...(I prefer after, as I don't want the movie version of the town in my head before I go))

Posted by
2712 posts

We spent two weeks driving around Wales in September and loved it. Would have loved to have three weeks. Or you could combine it with the Cotswolds and/or some of the smaller towns near the border with Wales. Wales is wonderful for hiking and scenery. Lovely people and great pubs too.

Posted by
993 posts

Well, I can tell you where we are going. Directly from LHR to Chipping Campden. Take 11 days to do the Cotswolds Way Walk. In Bath we'll collect our car and drive to Mevagissey in Cornwall. Slowly we'll work our way up to Tintern Abbey, Hay-On-Wye and up thru Wales. Near Manchester we'll visit Coronation Street then to Holmfirth for a little "Last of The Summer Wine" country. Drop the car and take the train to London. From there to Kent for a couple of days, then back up to see to Hampton Court Palace and spend our last night in Windsor. Just over 3 weeks..done and dusted.