Please sign in to post.

Yorkshire

We will be spending three night and days near Thirsk. We will of course see Herriot World. What else is there to see. We like museums, castles, historical places, and gardens. It will be in mid-October so I know it will be limited. Any help would be appreciated. So let me know what you consider must sees in the area. We will have a car. Thanks!

Posted by
1161 posts

Richmond theatre might have something on, one of the oldest in the country.
Slightly out of Gods own country, but Bowes Mus.
gets great reviews.
The watersplash on the titles of All Creatures is on the minor road from the Punchbowl pub in Swaledale over towards Arkengarthdale.
The ruins of Middleham castle give great views and its a cute small town.
Not a formal garden but wild folly, The Forbidden Corner couple of miles from Middleham
A trip up Wensleydale ,would also get you a string of attractive small towns.
Castle Bolton,Aysgarth Falls, the tour of the cheese making at Hawes, the local museum, a nice little walk up to Hardraw force, Buttertubs Pass then on to Richmond.
Theres a good little museum over in Dent,strictly Cumbria, but still in the Yorkshire Dales park.
I hear the Black Sheep Brewery tour has excellent jam rolly poly in the cafe.
I presume theres a vist to York mixed in the trip?

Posted by
5678 posts

I visited Bolton Castle and was a bit enchanted when I saw the room where Mary Queen of Scots had been imprisoned. On that Same trip I also went to Castle Howard. It has an interesting history and the gardens are lovely. I also went to Rievaulx Abbey. Sharan Newman had described it in one of her historical mysteries as a peaceful place. It still is.

I also enjoyed just driving around the Dales. There are some wonderful drives and you spend some time wandering.

Pam

Posted by
56 posts

Wow well done on an excellent choice. Because of your location which is right next to the motorway A1 and close to the crossroads to the west east A66. There is just so much to see! A lot has already been covered and some great advice. For me York is a must ..the cathedral, the ancient city walls, the shambles with old medieval buildings and railway museum, there is also a Betty's here as well as Harrogate, interestingly (I'm not sure if your in history/WW2/American fliers Betty's in York has a mirror with Second World War fliers name on it many American and Canadian..many didn't return home their personal inscribed messages are heartbreaking!)

If your into walking I know some amazing walks around MAlham and a great easy climb up the side of a waterfall. With the water coming through an O shaped opening amazing!

Don't forget because of the location you can drive to the highest pub in the UK tan hill inn, high and remote up on the moors used as the filming for opening scenes of an American werewolf in London. Perhaps use this as a stop off on route to the lakes district.

If it's wet, the large indoor shopping area of the metro centre in Gateshead is an hour away with indoor cinema shopping food outlets stuff for kids and adults. I would definitely go on the national trust website and English heritage website as these will give you other ideas.

I live in this area so any questions you have just let me know!

Posted by
56 posts

Just a thought, have you been watching " more creatures great and small". On the BBC. IPLAYER.