Please sign in to post.

Cotswolds

So, we have two nights between London and Edinburgh. I'm thinking the Cotswolds? Oxford? Any ideas?

Posted by
51 posts

Seeing the countryside might be a nice break between the cities. There is a plenty to see and do.

Posted by
3391 posts

I second York...it's right on the way and two nights are the perfect amount of time to see the city. It's just a few hours north of London and a few hours south of Edinburgh so two nights will give you a full day in between the two nights, half a day on your arrival day and half of a day on your departure day. You'll have plenty of time to see everything at a relaxed pace and enjoy this beautiful place...

Posted by
4140 posts

A couple of practical realities ; You don't say whether you will be traveling by rail or car and two issues make the the Cotswolds less practical ( as beautiful as they are ) . Without a car , getting around the villages in the area is difficult , to say the least . The other issue is that you would first be headed northwest from London to get there and then going northeast to Edinburgh ,all of which adds up to considerable time behind the wheel . Given that two nights really amounts to one day , I would consider York . Two hours by rail to York and then after your stay , two hours up to Waverly ( Edinburgh ) would give you more bang for your buck ( timewise ) . Don't get me wrong about the Cotswolds .they are beautiful ( if there's a heaven , it probably looks like that ) , but time here is of the essence . York is great , and a day or so there isn't exactly slumming it . The cathedral , the Shambles and city center and for me The National Railway Museum were all high points . I also spent three days in the Cotswold villages on my last rip to the UK but I had a car the whole way and more time . As far as George's recommendation of Lords of the Manor , I stopped in one day to use the loo . Quite posh . Very deep pockets , and a listing in Debrett's are useful if staying there . A winning lottery ticket would also do the trick !

Posted by
4140 posts

@ George , Absolutely so ! it is gorgeous ! Just commenting that it is rather a splurge . Nothing wrong with that but as my dear mother used to say , to be forewarned is to be forearmed . By the way we ran into it in much the same manner as you did , walking down through the Slaughters to Bourton .

Posted by
1265 posts

I'd also say stop in York, Train fare is as low as 20 gbp per person and the trip is only 2 1/2 hours. The Train from Edinburgh - Oxford will take about 5 1/2 hours and the fare is as low as 48 gbp per person.

Posted by
1010 posts

We have done a day trip to the Cotswold's with Gray Line tours. You can go on-line and look at the tours. We also have taken the train to York, just for the day. We know friends who are touring the Cotswold's this June. They have booked with a private driver/tour company. They will stay at one hotel and be picked up daily for their various trips around the Cotswold's. I know they have known two families who have used this same company.

Posted by
161 posts

This is for the lady who wrote saying she knew of private tours. Please, can you provide the name and contact information for the company your friends/family used. Thanks