Please sign in to post.

Transportation questions

What is the best way to get from Gatwick to Earl's Court? Is there a connection that would take us to a rail station? We are arriving late and I would like to get a travelcard from a rail station so we can start using the 2 for 1 the next day. Also, staying at Earl's Court, will a travelcard for zones 1-3 be sufficient to see the central London sites? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Posted by
4684 posts

The quickest way will be to go from Gatwick Airport to London Victoria by train and then take the Underground District Line to Earls Court. Both Gatwick Airport and Victoria are rail stations so you can get the Travelcard for discounts. Just make sure you use the rail ticket office above ground at Victoria rather than the Underground one.

All the major central London sights are in Zone 1. With a 1-3 Travelcard you will also be able to go out to Greenwich if you want.

Posted by
8700 posts

The Greenwich stations are on the border of zone 2 and zone 3. A zone 1-2 travelcard will work.

Posted by
5326 posts

You may be staying closer to West Brompton station rather than Earls Court. In which case take a train from Gatwick to Clapham Junction, buy your travelcard for the next day there, then take the Overground to West Brompton. If you weren't going to stop off, this would be about 10 minutes quicker than going to Earls Court station via Victoria, and should involve a lot fewer stairs if that is important.

Posted by
6 posts

Thanks all! I am actually very close to Earl's Court station. On the website it says the Gatwick station will not work for the 2 for 1 but Victoria will. One more question - I know you need to take a passport photo to get a 7 day rail travelcard. Will there be an agent at Victoria station around 23:00 or will I need to go back the next morning? If so, is Victoria the closest rail station to Earl's Court?

Posted by
5326 posts

Booking office at Victoria doesn't close.

Clapham Junction, Paddington or Victoria are much of a muchness in terms of distance if you are going the following day, so go whichever is the way you want to carry on, although a single cash fare is a bit pricey whatever.

A return ticket from Gatwick though would do for the 2 for 1 though, if you are going back that way.

Posted by
6 posts

Flying back out of Heathrow but I can get the Travelcard that night at Victoria Station and have it done with. Thanks for the great information!