Please sign in to post.
Posted by
8700 posts

Most people on the Helpline (including me) do not recommend the London Pass. You would have to run around like a crazy person to get your money's worth. There are better options for transportation (like Oyster cards and travelcards). Many major museums are free. If you buy travelcards from a National Rail station rather than a Tube station, you can benefit from some great 2-for-1 deals for places that do charge admission (like the Tower of London). See www.daysoutguide.co.uk.

Posted by
956 posts

Margo, I am not speaking from experience of using the pass, but I recently bought one to use for our trip in March. I will point out that not only was the pass cheaper last month, the weekend I went to buy it they just happened to have an additional 10% off! I did some math before coming to the decision to buy it. First off, we did not buy the pass with the transport. For the three day pass, we paid £69.30 each. Of the sights that I want to see, these were the ones that cost money: Windsor Castle, Shakespeare's Globe, Tower of London, St. Paul's and Westminster Abbey. Those sights are over £84 to get in (more if you don't buy the tickets online). In our case, the London Pass will work well. And I don't think these five sights in three days will be too much for us. We have two other full days in London and we can do the other free sights (National Gallery, British Museum, etc) or ones not covered on the pass. You need to make a list of your absolutely must-do's, add up the admission, how many days you need to see them, and do the math. It takes a little homework, but for us, it works out!

Posted by
32752 posts

Using the railway 2 for 1 Days Out promotion mentioned above is a very efficient way to save money.

Of the places listed:

Windsor Castle - a joint ticket
Shakespeare's Globe 2 for £13.50
Tower of London 2 for £21.45
St. Paul's 2 for £16.00 before April
Westminster Abbey - not included.

So some good money is saved.

Posted by
506 posts

Tim, We are going to London in May. The website you listed looks great. Do you buy all these passes before you go? Or do you go to a train station to buy them? We are buying train tickets to York and some say buy before you go and others say buy an off peak at the train station when you get there? I admit the transportation and all these passes to see attractions are a bite confusing.
Thank you
Judy